Lionel Heritage Series. Let's See 'em.

As the title says, show off your Lionel Heritage series locomotives and rolling stock. Post your pics, vids, stories, thoughts on these locos, or even questions regarding them. It doesn't matter which one it is, as long as it's a Heritage, be it UP or NS.

I'll start. After a couple of months of pondering and waiting, I finally brought home my first Heritage loco this evening. It's the NS Virginian #1907, one that I haven't seen much about (I've seen the Pennsy and the NS of the NS series, but none other). I saw this locomotive when I first got into O gauge and fell in love with it's trim scheme. Not to mention that I'm an NS fan (my HO layout is NS based). At the beginning of this month, I went to the LHS that had this baby in stock and asked to see a demo of it. The owner obliged, and what a treat it was. Even just in conventional operation (which is what I run ATM).

After bringing her home tonight, I got her out of the box and put her on my track to give her a little test run. Unfortunately, I only have O-31 curves ATM (that will be remedied fairly quick). Despite being on a shorter radius curve than meant to, she still runs the track (though with the pilot axle derailed). I'm loving every feature about this thing. From the flashing ditch lights, to the sound of the engine, the sound of the bell and horn, the air release, the radio chatter, the low speed lights, and the smoke unit. I may end up having to get a Lionel Legacy control system just so I can take advantage of it's other features. Next in line for it, though, is the rolling stock, consisting of the caboose and I believe it's 4 hoppers. My LHS is keeping an eye out for the boxcars for it for me, and if found will be added to the list.

Tomorrow she should be getting a good wringing out on my club's O gauge layout. I'll try to get a vid of it on that track and post it sometime tomorrow night.

Now let's see yours,
Shannon

Had a great day showing off my Virginian this afternoon at the club. This locomotive was one of the first things many people noticed when they ventured over to the O gauge layout. Quite a few comments on this engine. One of our other O gaugers made the comment to a visitor who had commented on it that it was the "Cadillac or Mercedes" of O Gauge locomotives. Even after it was taken off of the track for a break, people were still making comments on it. One of whom was one of our HO and G gauge members who was so impressed by the looks of it, that he asked me to run it again so he and his son could see it run. He loved it.

I'm the type that likes a long train, so when I noticed that this thing was able to haul quite a few cars (relative to what other members of my club usually run) with great ease, I took it and ran with it. I started looking for whatever car there that was fair game for club members to use. After successfully running 28 plus the caboose, I was about out of rolling stock. However, we were able to scrounge up 4 more. That's when the fun began.

When the last 4 cars were added, cars started tipping over in the curves and uncoupling. We made numerous attempts at rearranging the rolling stock due to some of the cars being lighter and having weaker couplers. We moved the strongest and heaviest cars closer to the front, and the lighter and weaker cars towards the back. Low and behold, after about 4 or 5 attempts, we finally got it. 32 cars and 1 caboose being pulled by this 1 locomotive was about all we could get due to track and rolling stock.

Here's a link to the video I took today at the club. Not much, but it shows some of the pulling power this locomotive has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0WW_srmjNE

Later folks,
Shannon

Back