Lima Alco C420

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Anyone have any real experience with these? I just got one (cheap!) and am thinking about a total detail and paint rehab, but are they good runners over the long run? This one runs quiet, seems very smooth, but I have no Idea how good the mechanisms?:confused:
Any experience?:confused:
also any sugggestions for replacement handrails? These are molded orange!!:eek:

Karl, I've had a few of them over the years. The biggest issue I had with them is the spring wire electrical pickups on the wheels. If you happen to get a short, like on a switch frog, and the engine stalls, the short can melt the wires.
And of course they are not DCC ready.

Karl, I have one and the axle gears split. I used NWSL replacements in brass, 10 tooth for KTM brass diesels. The hole has to be opened slightly to the axle diameter but otherwise a good replacement. You'll need a NWSL wheel and gear puller. Once they were changed the 420 runs quiet, smooth as silk, and pulls well. The brass electrical wipers that rub against the wheels need to be kept clean and free of gear lube.

To replace the molded on grabs I think the closest match for the curved ones would be from the set made for the Trainman RS32s. The straight ones look a little too wide for the set running up the center of the long hood if the molded are an accurate width.

Paint the handrails.

I'll have to remember the gear thing, if they ever split,,,seems super smooth right now....and the grabs I have from a previous project,,,and a few other brand dead Alcos,,, but the handrails, I gotta find something else.:eek:..not only is one busted, but its that slipperier than snot on a doorknob plastic!!
I cant see paint sticking to em!!

...not only is one busted, but its that slipperier than snot on a doorknob plastic!!
I cant see paint sticking to em!!

Check out the paints made for Lexan RC car bodies. Its flexible, tough, won't flake and seems to work real well on the slippery plastic. I've used it for years on plastic, as well as metal diesel handrails.

Paint is stripped, chassis is fitted with a decoder, grabirons coming, but I'm still fighting handrails. Doesnt anybody make a decent aftermarket set, or do I have to make my own?:eek:

Back