Like Snow?

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
If you lake snow, watch this video. Even if you don't, it's worth watching.

[video]http://www.pbs.org/video/2365218614/[/video]

I believe that this was in 2011. I didn't realize that those rotaries dated back to the 20's and 30's. hat really looked dangerous but I think it would be a hoot to have gone out there with them.

I've seen the narrow gauge D&RG rotary in operation. It's noisy, dirty ... but a really cool thing to see!

Drought is determined by the water table below ground. You can have big snow falls like that but if it runs off fast without replenishing the ground water, its still a drought.

TOOT Don't know the answer to that without looking it up .. but I did read that 1 inch of rain equals right around 1 foot of snow.

Hope it never snows near me then (not likely, I know, but you never can tell). Not uncommon to get 15-16" of rain in a day in parts of Queensland.

Wait till it melts, which raises a question. How many gallons of water in a ton of snow?

If you are talking about a US ton it would be 240 gallons plus about a pint.

Now, if you mean a long ton? That's a horse of a different color.

I wouldn't want to hold on to those figures about water content. You can get a heavy wet snow like what was described in the video or a light powder snow with very little water content. I have been plowing my driveway for way too many years and there is a big difference. With my little lawn tractor I can easily push over a foot of powder snow and have some what of a problem with just a few inches of a wet snow really notice the difference.

The moisture content make a lot of difference. Got some coming down now, but I don't think I'm really interested in check it out.

Watching that video, that must have been really tightly packed snow, they were boring a tunnel through it in places and then running trains along tracks with monster loads of the stuff still up on the mountain side above. Brave people.

Chet:

"Do I like snow?" - Living in Wisconsin and formally being in charge of snow removal operations as part of my job responsibilities for almost 40 years and as a civil court recognized "expert" on snow removal practices, my answer is "YES".

I still enjoy watching it snow at my cabin or sitting by my household fireplace.

Here's a good model railroad video from Utube on models in the snow. The sound is great and modeling even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0XiYSOVII4

Bring on Ground Hog day and six weeks to Spring!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen his work before and it is almost unbelievable. Yiu have to remind yourself that it is a model. Fantastic work.

Back