Lighting kit for a Walthers Amfleet Lounge Car

esales

Coach Cleaner
I recently purchased a Walthers Interior Lighting Kiit and a Walthers Amfleet Lounge Car. I want to have lighting in the Lounge Car to make it look prototypical. Can this be possible? Im a beginner @ this so please help me out a little! Thanks.

Oh boy... I installed the lighting kits for 8 of my Walthers Amtrak Superliners. And it was a pain in the arse to install. The shell was difficult to remove, and once I finally got that off, when I installed the light, the tabs on the lighting kit are cheaply made, and when I installed the shell back on, the light strip grounded out on the roof of the metal shell, and fried the lights. Not once, but twice it happened before I got smart and put a peice of black tape under the roof.

Now I also have the Walthers Streamliners and those lighting kits are much, much better and a lot easier to not only remove the roof shell, but the lights have a better tab design than the Superliner light kits.

I'm not sure if your Amfleet are similar to the Superliners, but if they are, all I can say is good luck, and remember to put a piece of electrical tape under the roof!

Last edited by a moderator:
Superliners...GAHHHH

Agreed, the Walthers kits are extremely temperamental. I have six cars, and only managed to get 2 of them working. Of the remaining 4, 2 of them burned out (as you say, I think the metal coating on the inside of the roof was to blame - short circuit of death!) and the other two were so intermittent that I gave up.

I'm going to try again, this time with a small amount of adhesive putty (blutack) to hold them in place, which is a less permanent solution than soldering. I do want to get the interiors out for painting at some point, so I want to keep the kits removable.

The ones for the single-level cars are MUCH better - I like them a lot actually. They have incandescent bulbs which look very natural, and are way easier to install.

Wish me luck! (And definitely use electrical tape as Motley suggests!)

Michael

Back