Let's Talk Track

macjet

As I'm designing my shelf layout I'm coming up with more questions then answers. Specifically, which size and brand of turnouts I should use.

The shelf layout in question is a model of the shortline railroad Farmrail www.farmrail.com. This branch line model will always be dedicated as Farmrail track. Therefore, the size of locomotives this track will see will be of the GP10, 20, and 38AC variety. The majority of the rail car movements will be covered hoppers moving grain. The size of these cars will be 4427 through 4750. There will be no Trinity supper hoppers on this line. Secondary traffic movements will be 50' open tops with aggregate and some variety of tanker for anhydrous ammonia. Occasionally a single flat might make it's way into town loaded with farm implements for the team track.

My original design called for Peco #5's. I am wondering if this is the best choice. I have a lot of Atlas #4's but these tend to space the tracks out further then I like. A secondary consideration was #6's. These fit too. However there isn't as much storage and run around line.

So, which size turnout should I use? Also, are the Peco's worth the money? Walthers has them for $30 each.:eek:

Short of the long is what size and what brand?

What size rail? Code 83? or 100? How many switches are you going to need?
If you need over a dozen, I would recommend using the fast-tracks template system to build your own. The fast-tracks switches are so much better then the pre-built ones, they are definitely worth the effort.

If you are only using a few switches, the fast-tracks system may not be the cheapest option. I don't think Peco switches are worth it for code 100, I'd use Atlas. For code 83, atlas are the best bang for the buck, but walthers/shinoharra are the best option, if you can find them.

For what you are doing, #4 or #4.5 would work fine as far as reliability of operation goes. They also allow for the most track in a small area. For looks, you may want something larger, like a #5 or #6, but I don't think the space trade off is worth the larger switches.

In the end, my recommendation, for what it's worth, is to go with code 83 #4.5 Fast Tracks switches.

Atlas #4 switches, given the size constraints of your layout. You can't afford to lose the space that #5 or #6 switches would take and the relatively small locomotives and rolling stock you've described will do fine with #4 switches. The #4.5 Fastrack switches would be nice but not cost effective from the drawings I've seen of your layout.

I always forget some key information, sorry. As you probably assumed HO scale and code 83 track. I'm glad to see the #4 recommendation as I already have about a dozen of them and 3-4 #6's from Atlas.

I'm considering Caboose Hobbies series 200 ground throws as the modules are only 24" deep.

I've have never hand laid track. The thought of building turnouts scares me!:eek: I'm not sure my modeling skills are that good. I haven't even scratchbuilt or kitbashed a building yet.

Thanks for the input. I'll press forward with #4 Atlas.

The Caboose Hobbies ground throws work great with Atlas switches. NJ International also makes ground throws that are more realistic than the standard Caboose Hobbies #200 and are worth a look.

I'll look at those. I'll also need to do some research on switch stand signals.

I've modified the track plan slightly. I've added a second track for outloading grain. I also abandoned the idea of running these tracks off the module. The only track that will run off module to the left will be the main. This will rest on a storage shelf. It still gives me room to work the wheat trucks on the back side of the elevator. I pulled some covered hoppers out and did some measuring. My CO-OP storage track and runaround both have room to accommodate 7 54' (8") cars. So it looks like I'll be able to operate near prototypical length trains.:D

I have come to like the Peco Streamline Code 83 HO turnouts, their insulfrog ones. They have an overcenter spring on the throwbar that clicks the points over positively for good contact. I use their #6 turnouts exclusively in my yard. Excellent. The metallic frog is a big help for appearances sake.

Back