Lets take a virtual tour of Juniata shops

ThoroughBreed

Dcc~detail~diesel freak
Heres a great site for a virtual tour of the Juniata Shops, home of the PRR and Conrail, in Altoona, PA. Explore all the links:
A general history; the gallery contains a tour of the car shops, paint shop; roster shots of steam and electric locos constructed in the shops; miscellaneous photos of modern power with some cameos of NS OCS; A time line; Diagrams and Maps with track plans for the 12"=1' scale; A listing of current build programs, rebuilds, and conversions.
I guarantee theres enough info in there to keep you occupied for a bit, lol. So grab a cup of coffee, and sit back and explore the former PRR shops.
http://www.altoonaworks.info/

Very nice link, Thoroughbreed. You're right, I could persuse that site for hours. I've been to Juniata once, when I was about 10. My grandmother was a rate clerk with the PRR and we took a train from Cleveland and got the royal tour of the shops. It was about half steam and half diesel in that long ago year of 1956 and I remember being overwhelmed by the shear magnitude of all the noise, machinery, and men that it took to keep the railroad running. Juniata is still impressive, I'm sure, but nothing like those days.

Back