Lets see your Freelance Gensets

I am pretty sure that the Gensets generate power from the 700hp engines which are fed through to the motors. In that effect, the engines ARE the generators.

With *further* apologies for getting pedantic here (I just want to understand, not argue - Honest! :));

A "generic" genset (of which I now know there are 3 in these things) is an engine (diesel or petrol) coupled to an electric motor which gets used "in reverse" as a generator - It seems the power from said generators is fed to motors on the axles - Very good - I understand (I think!)

The conventional diesel-electric prime mover is a large engine that turns a crankshaft in the main generator that turns the mechanical energy generated into electricity which is then fed to the traction motors. This system generates more power.

Can't have a crankshaft in a generator..... They have armatures. The rotational energy coming off the "prime mover" is, I guess, fed to the armature of a single big ass generator which then generates the power to again feed electric motors on the axles - Correct?

ie, the only difference between these "Genset locos" and a regular diesel-electric is how many power supplies ("gensets") they have?

I think that the older GE "tonner" locomotives, industrial endcab switchers, etc use a transmission that uses the mechanical energy generated from the diesel engine straight to the wheels.

The reason why the diesel-electric loco has an engine and generator on-board is because electric motors are more efficient than an entirely mechanical gear driven system and it gives them more control.

OK, I can go with that, thanks,
Cheers,
Ian

Well, I've decided. I am going to get one of the second run models in the NRE scheme as a demo unit when they are released. Then after a suitable amount of time, it will get a repaint into Corporate colours.

And please, feel free to keep posting Genset pics.

D

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres mine, added some details and replaced all the handrails with .15 brass wire.
IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

Nice!

They've really grown on me. I am thinking about getting two now, one in NRE demo, and one to make corporate, either an undec or perhaps a CSX to patch until I get time to repaint. Problem is, nobody has any in Canada to buy.

Well, I've bit the bullet and bought one. :D

After a good long look around I found a nice deal on a CSX #1301 in Ontario and it is now on its way here, hopefully safe and sound. Thanks Anthony, Bev and Barry at The Train Cellar.

This brings BLR into the 21st Century motive power-wise and provides me with my first modern loco model to experience, operate and customise. It also completes phase 1 of the two part purchase intent leaving me with just an NRE Demo scheme model to locate.

The unit will likely get a patch job at some point in the next few months and be renumbered #30 to fit into our roster system (a gap left behind by the last Alco RS units being scrapped in the 80's) along with some additional Canadian style BLR specific details.

The dilemna here is that if this were reality CSX would not likley sell off a new unit to a freelance railway, but since this is my world - they did! lol

I'm looking forward to this.

Built new for CSX but diverted to the BLR so it could take advantage of a emissions tax credit;)

Hmm, you may be on to something, but would a US company do that for a Canadian shortline? :eek:

Yes.

Companies will do anything if there is money to be made. For example, CSX leased their SD80MACs to Ferromex.

Well then, the precident is set. Cool! It's a done deal. The nice thing is that CSX colours are the same as mine in a different configuration, so it will fit in just fine :D

And, woooh000 it's almost here... can't wait.

IMG_1313.jpg

"oh hawgwash!" says Bob, the engineer/mechanic on BB&G #8. "them newfangled enviromentaly-friendly gensets is a whole mess a fancy suits thinking big. Ole #8 here, now SHE's the ORIGINAL generator set. Yup, I remember back in '73, or was it '74?, we blew a piston out of the front diesel. Ran 'er for 8 months on the back diesel alone! Now-days we often shut one engine down to save on fuel... least that's our story and we're stickin to it!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
picture.php

Here the first Genset! Considering they appeared in the mid to late 20's, and they were surrounded by large ash and steam belching Iron horses...they were Almost cleaner;)

Guess what showed up today....

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01775.jpg

And posing with BLR van #29...

DSC01777.jpg

I love this thing!!! :) Runs soooo smooth and quiet. Man, modern MR equipment is leaps and bounds above what I was used to. Even more excited to get the MP15AC now too.

The second batch of BHP SD70ACe's were diverted off of BNSF's order. They were built to BNSF specs, primed in Orange, then EMD diverted them to BHP, and later tacked the replaced units on the end of BNSF's order to cover the "shortage". I think it took an agreement with BNSF to push their order back a month.

Back