Let's give kudos to GREAT customer service

Marlin39

In the last 6 months I have had 2 noteworthy experiences of GREAT customer service, from some our suppliers & manufacturers. I want to give kudos where due.

1. I purchased a new Atlas engine and had to send it in for a DCC issue after about an hour of run time. I received the RMA the same day I sent my email requesting one. 2 days after Atlas received my engine I received a phone call, from the tech, explaining what he found and did, and that it was on its way back.

2. I just received a fairly large order from Scenic Express and it was missing one item. I sent an email and received one back within an hour or two, with an apology and that the missing item would be shipped out today.

If you have any great experiences please post them. GREAT CS deserves to be acknowledged.

I've been pretty lucky in only having to deal with a few manufacturers over the years.

This one is my best experience:

Mine as with Scaletrains. I have 36 of their crude oil tank cars I run in a unit train. I was running that particular train one night and it went wonky and derailed a whole string of cars. Upon investigation I found one of the truck frames had cracked. I took photos and emailed product support the next morning (Tues morning.) Received a prompt email saying they would send out a new set of trucks. I received them on Friday when I returned home from work. They even sent an extra set with wheels and bearing caps.

Mine would be Walther's. I took two Walther's Proto locomotives to a LHS for repair. These locomotives were 6 years old. The LHS had the locomotives for a very long time with no results as to fixing the locomotives. I got the two locomotives back and contacted Walther's directly through their website. I sent the locomotives to their headquarters in Milwaukee and received a phone call from their technician in a week. We discussed the fix for my locomotives and talked about many other things including track cleaning. The technician spent over an hour on the phone answering my many questions. My locomotives were fixed and shipped back to me a week later. And the price Walther's charged to fix the locomotives was considerably cheaper than what the LHS was going to charge had they fixed the locomotives. I just purchased another Walther's Proto locomotive last week...... that makes six of them on my layout.

Mine would be Scale trains. I had a SD40-2 in Chessie and the class lights were not working properly and repaired in a timely manner and paid the shipping both ways. The other time was an ES44AC that was just over a year old and the chip went wacky and they replaced it, again paid the shipping.

I have had excellent customer service from several "reliable" model manufacturers. ScaleTrains, broken horn on an SD40-2; Walther's, missing part in a kit; DPM, also a missing part in a kit; Bar Mills, several times for missing parts. However some of these and some of the examples given in this thread are also indicative of poor QA to begin with. It may actually be a minuscule amount because I don't know volumes of product or issues to compare to.

Most hobby-centered companies will offer good customer service, because they are aware the money you are spending with them is strictly discretionary. I've run into a couple of notable exceptions, but that isn't the topic of this thread.
I've had very good care from Rapido Trains, Scale Trains, and Athearn.

Back