ledzeppelinfan1's Layout Journal...

In progress photos are sometimes the best. They can keep some of the often asked questions from being repeated. The number one most repeated question, "How did you do...?" With in progress photos, they can see.

In progress photos are sometimes the best. They can keep some of the often asked questions from being repeated. The number one most repeated question, "How did you do...?" With in progress photos, they can see.

I gotcha guys and I understand. Thing is I've really hit a point of burnout with the actual work and I'm ready to get to the detailing and trees and get this thing wrapped up. I sort of hit an emotional wall where I looked at my work and was thinking...eh, I guess its okay.

That was until I started to do the trees tonight
. That really showed me just a glimpse of where the layout is headed and I'm sure now that I will be thoroughly happy with my work. Trees really bring all the scenery to life before the further fine details (people, vehicles, animals, etc) get their chance. Only problem is that I am making my trees from a fake Christmas tree and it is rather slow and boring work. I could only do it for about an hour or so tonight before I felt like I was bored to death. They really make the layout look fantastic though, I must say.

That said, after the trees are done...which might take a few days as I have estimated about 250 are necessary to round out each scene. Hell, that might take me a week. I had about 300 from a previous layout, but will only be using them sparingly as they are more appropriate as trees in the residential areas. Not nearly large enough to be in the forest where with the fake Christmas tree I am able to get trees that are about 8 inches (56 scale feet) tall. Gives the scenes great depth.

After they are done, I will be doing the finer details (street signs, fences, etc). Before I start those things, I'll get some pics up. Like I said, the trees just take so long that the time I get to spend working, I'd rather be working than taking pics and messing with the computer. Not to mention, the layout-even if mostly complete-has supplies all over the place. I mean literally. It's pretty bad. And I really don't feel like picking them all up until a later time, knowing I'll be just getting them right back out.

Just know that things are rapidly moving toward completion. I estimate trees alone will take most of this coming week. After trees I will load up some pics. The fine details like road signs, fences, etc will take a few days. Then I will go back around with the scenic supplies looking for little spots that might need patched and install the field grass where it seems appropriate. That will take a few days. Conservatively, Lord willing and I don't die, this should be done in about 2-3 weeks. Making the whole project completed in about 2 months.

Thanks for following.

Last edited by a moderator:
... just take so long that the time I get to spend working, I'd rather be working than taking pics and messing with the computer. Not to mention, the layout-even if mostly complete-has supplies all over the place. I mean literally. It's pretty bad. And I really don't feel like picking them all up until a later time, knowing I'll be just getting them right back out. ...

I hear ya, been-there-done-that! I'm in a similar situation, scenicking a rebuilt layout. It's always a PITA to clear the tools and debris off the layout surface just to get a photo or two. I'm waiting until I get to a point where this peninsula I'm working on can be considered 'finished' (i.e. >90% complete) before I snap any more pix of it.

Making the whole project completed in about 2 months.

Wow, that is fast! I'm really excited to see your finished project too, it does sound like you're making some real headway. I'm just starting to build up my benchwork, so I love hearing that someone is getting to the detail stage.

Well, its been a week since my last update and I am STILL doing trees. I have made and planted about 130 or so and still have quite a few left. I am off tomorrow and intend on getting some good work done. A couple of scenes are nearly complete and clutter free so a couple of pics might be coming. I'm really pleased with where things are headed!!!!

Hey yall...I sort of messed up and forgot to wipe the flux off my joints and it looks like a small blueish green tint real close to there...like some corrosion is already beginning to happen, maybe?

What should I wipe on there at this point to kill that or prevent it from growing?

This is a test. I set up my photobucket acct. and I'm testing the linking procedure to see how it goes. This is without trees, obviously. I will post quite a few pics later. ;)

Oh yes I will...assuming this goes well, that is.

DSC05334_zpsefaa0eb8.jpg

Okay guys, here you go. This is about 90 percent done. I will describe what you are looking as I go along here. It took long enough to just clear the areas for pics, so forgive the lighting please. :) None of the fine details are done yet, just about 70 percent done with trees...which is taking forever, but worth it.

The layout begins in Maryland Heights...Still lacks more trees as this is the last place I was working on trees and will continue here when I get back at it later tonight. Road needs to be weathered a bit more. Once trains, cars, street signs, street lights (non functioning) are there, this should look pretty good.

DSC05357_zps1cdf0d5e.jpg

DSC05358_zps80793033.jpg

The above grain transfer facility recieved about 8-12 covered hoppers per day. Has its own assigned switcher, which sometimes (if time allows, makes runs to Pacific, MO)...but not often.

The outskirts of Chesterfield, MO. The double mains roll through the wooded undeveloped part of Chesterfield about 15 miles from Maryland Heights.

DSC05360_zps7f9249ec.jpg

DSC05361_zps35a9c842.jpg

The town of Pacific, MO recieves 6-8 cars per week. A small feed and grain storage facility for a nearby farm and Spring Hill (a soap manufacturer) recieves product at the small freight terminal. This scene will have about 60 trees framing both sides and the middle between the house and the feed storage tanks. So it lacks a bit of dimension in these pics yet. A convenience store is on the left side of the scene. Trees will be everywhere on this scene.

DSC05363_zps99969d77.jpg

DSC05364_zps24f6f437.jpg

DSC05365_zps27a69b16.jpg

And finally, the Bluffs on the way to Jefferson City, MO. This is probably my favorite scene on the layout...these pics dont really do it justice. The two mains sweep along the bluffs past a walking trail and creek and into the forest.

DSC05351_zps4ae7c7f4.jpg

DSC05350-Copy_zpscc97e961.jpg

DSC05354_zps4a8d20f6.jpg

Okay, and finally, the portable backdrop which can put sky anywhere I want it, so I can view shots without having to look at the dresser or something equally as annoying. Still needs clouds painted, I just painted the blue on today.

DSC05369_zps354cbd76.jpg

Okay...there it is...now COMMENT!!! :cool: Please???

Added more trees to the front...also gives a better look at the yard there than the other shots. I'm learned to not have big 'wide open' areas in the towns but to allow the trees to give visual breaks.

DSC05371_zpsf65935c0.jpg

DSC05372_zps48239c47.jpg

DSC05373_zps679b0e6e.jpg

Great stuff, love the rock walls and specially that dirt grade crossing. The trees bring life to it don't they.

Just a heads up with your P/bucket A/cc. Don't do as I did when I first went on it and delete or move any pics on there or they disappear here as well. (thought I was saving storage space)

Thanks a lot, guys.

I put some trees on the small town of Pacific last night and let me just say, never judge anything till you have put your trees in. They truly change everything. I wasn't overly impressed with that side of the layout and now I like it just as much as the rest. Well, other than the two short side scenes. They rock.

Great job sir, you are doing fantastic work. I noticed in a prior post that you were making your own trees from an old christmas tree. I just wanted to make sure I had that right and wondered how you were doing it. Keep up the good work and the updates.

Thanks
Scott

Thanks guys!!!

Scott,

Its really easy. What I am using is a fake Christmas tree, scissors, cheap hairspray, Woodland Scenics Ground Foam Fine Green Grass, and something to Cut the limbs off the tree. I am using some heavy duty cutters I used to cut copper power cable when I did telecom work.

Cut the limbs off, I estimate one Christmas tree would yeild about 400-500 trees. Make them in varying lengths...

Then use your scissors to shape the trees. Cut close to the 'trunk' at the bottom obviously and then make them pointed toward the top. I had to trim about 40 percent of the frizzies (for lack of better word where 'branches' might have worked better...lol...whatever) off.

Next, and this is crucial, have something like a jar or a large cup filled about 35 percent full with the ground foam. You need this because its hard to dunk a tree into a full shaker of ground foam (it wont fit). Spray your tree down with the hairspray...just an even coat...it doesn't require a ton. Put your tree in the jar or cup or whatever, I actually used another WS Shaker bc I had so many of them. Cover the top of the container with your hand and shake it for about 3-5 seconds. Tap the tree on the sides of the container to knock off the excess, although I find its nice to leave some excess on the tree.

And thats basically it.

Some people might prefer to spray the tree again but I dont think its crucial. Because I believe the ground foam will flake off over time, I will probably spray them all again with the remainder of my hairspray when I'm done. I'm actually gonna spray down the whole layout to further lock down the scenery.

Lemme read this again to see if I left anything out.

Oh...the ground foam in the cup or whatever you choose to shake the trees in will accumulate hairspray and begin to clump after a while. Just shake it and break it up and use it when it drys back out.

Back