Led

clayandnancy

I've been looking at lighting for my N gauge layout. Has anyone bought LED's or anything for that matter from a Chinese distributor on ebay, good,bad idea?

There are a number of "chinese" distributors on ebay. I've bought trees, figures, cars and LED's and never had any problems other than sometimes it seems to take longer to get the items, but other times it's pretty quick.....not sure if it's customs or what. Usually a week at the quickest, but I've had it take 3 weeks too. Never any problems with the mechandise though. Obviously you get what you pay for, so 100 figures for $10 aren't quite the same as a set of 5 woodland scenics figures for $15, but for LED's there wouldn't be much issue.

No extra charges........everything is right there on the ebay page, I've been happy with what I've purchased.......in fact most of the time I get stuff from tiawan/china faster than I get stuff from Canada......just a couple of longer waits.

I bought 100 LEDs and resistors from a Chinese site, probably the same one, has street lights and other odd stuff, they arrived in good time (ie, a couple weeks) and good products, no extra charges, which actually surprised me.

I would not hesitate to do it again.

Sent from my Vic20 using JavaMoose

There's a business in Hong Kong that sells SMD leds, and I bought some a few years back. Great service and great product. And the best part...free shipping. The white leds are actually white (not blue or yellow) and work great.

The figures and cars are usually undersized, as they are for architectural modeling, not for layouts. But they're good for background items.

Timothy Dineen

Here is a web page where someone has tested "white" LEDS from numerous vendors -- including some of the offshore sources. He has photos showing the color of "white" delivered by each vendor.

http://www.trainweb.org/gnw/LED.htm

On the general question of ordering from China, I have been quite pleased. I bought all of the servos I am using to throw turnouts from a Chinese eBay seller. Delivery time was 12 days.

- Jeff

I just bought 100 "12 volt" and 100 plain warm white for use as replacements for those always failing S-meter and dial lights in radios from a Chinese vendor on Ebay. I've bought them before and never had any problems. The colors slightly vary between LEDs, but never enough to make any real difference. I think I've had a couple of duds in each bag of them too, but I had the same thing when I bought them for 3X as much, so I don't really care.

Back