LED ceiling fixtures

josephbw

Have any of you ever used LED fixtures for layout lighting? I've been thinking about using these lights,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B07MA5K/ref=pe_62810_137909200_em_1p_6_ti .

Or maybe these.

http://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-Dayl..._sim_hi_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TRSS8HHKE7QBMDW68TT

They are rated at a 100 Amp tungsten equivalent. I'm going to be putting in a dropped ceiling in my basement soon, and I need to get the lighting figured out before I install the ceiling. What I am most curious about is how many of these I am going to need to light the layout evenly. The ceiling will be a little over 7-1/2' and the layout will be about 3-1/2 -4' below. The main room is about 62' x 15', with an adjacent room about 15' x 20'. My intent is to make holes in the ceiling tiles, close to the cross bars, and poke these lights through the holes. Light spacing needs will dictate how many of these I need.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet is to search for a lighting calculator.

You will need to know if you want shadows, how bright you want to light the layout with the lights you want to buy.

Without a calculator it will be hit and miss at best.

I did this for my woodworking shop.
It saved me a lot of time and extra money not buying stuff I did not need.

I spent a half hour looking for a lighting calculator, and all I could find were energy saving, sites that didn't work, and questions that I had no answer for. I kind of got close on one site, but I had to plug in answers that were not right in order to get a questionable number of lights.

Do you have a link to a good calculator that will answer the question of coverage?

Thanks for the reply.
Joe

From what I can tell either of these lights are going to take a few to get the job done.
It all depends on how bright you want the layout to be.

Using that calculator I come up with either 18 or 26 lights. The other night using the same calculator and the same variables I got 23 lights. I guess I need to get several and experiment to see what works.

Thanks for the help.
Joe

Back