Layout Videos, they got me back into the Hobby!

River Run

Diesel Detailer
I must admit, I've been away from the hobby too long. I've been a model railroader most of my life, my dad got me started back in the 1950s. In 1996 I got really interested in 1/18 diecast muscle cars, and I strayed away from model railroading. Recently, I found a phenomenon called U-Tube...and it has been the kick in the pants that I needed. Thanks to the "Trains across America" series, and several others, my interests are back "on track" for sure! :) I would like to thank the folks that are responsible for these videos, I think they are a breath of fresh air and could possibly give this hobby the boost that it needs in this time of Nintendo and all that other distracting stuff! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome home. Yes, tons have changed over the past decade and a bit. Trains are much more realistic now in scale. And yet, the hobby still demands the same skills, pretty much.

What scale do you see yourself beginning to work in? S-Scale seems to have a following these days because it is a tweenie situated with HO on one side and O on the other, and this is mostly true for the aging modeller who hasn't oodles of room.

Welcome home. Yes, tons have changed over the past decade and a bit. Trains are much more realistic now in scale. And yet, the hobby still demands the same skills, pretty much.

What scale do you see yourself beginning to work in? S-Scale seems to have a following these days because it is a tweenie situated with HO on one side and O on the other, and this is mostly true for the aging modeller who hasn't oodles of room.

Thanks, I'm staying in HO, I have about 400 freight cars and 70 locomotives in HO. Right now I don't have a layout, but I have most of the things that go on a layout. I also Prototype Freelance, my railroad is The River Run, and I model the former W&LE/NKP/N&W Zanesville Branch from Navarre to Morgan Run...(what is now Ohio Central)

Welcome aboard, Randy. That's something how they put those videos together, isn't it? I'll have to try it someday when I finally figure out how my camera works. :) Sounds like you already have all the motive power and rolling stock you need. I used to live in Cleveland so I'm a big NKP fan also. I'll be interested to see what you come up with for a trackplan.

Welcome aboard, Randy. That's something how they put those videos together, isn't it? I'll have to try it someday when I finally figure out how my camera works. :) Sounds like you already have all the motive power and rolling stock you need. I used to live in Cleveland so I'm a big NKP fan also. I'll be interested to see what you come up with for a trackplan.

Let's see...I got GP-7s, GP-9s, RS-11s, scratch built RSD-12s and RS-36s, SD-9s, re-powered AS16, GP-30s, C420s, GP-38s, GP-40s, SD-45s, SD-35s, RS-3s, RS-1s, S2s and 4s, C628, C630, U25bs, Berks, Mikes, and a few others. Trackplan is gonna be based on David Barrow's old Cat Mountain & Santa Fe around the room shelf concepts, and height will be over 4 feet from the floor. All I need is a bulldozer and an Amish carpenter and I'll be all set! ;)

Back