Layout plan beginnings, opinions needed

Chip,

That is certainly a much cleaner version than what I came up with.

THIS JUST IN!
I ran the idea of going all the way around the room. She didn't seem to care! She was excited about buying a new corner desk setup to house all of her work stuff. As long as I don't interfere with her setup, I think I can do whatever I want. The extensions, for the most part, will have to be narrow. Like eight to twelve inches. I think I'll have to put in a small town on the other side of the room. That way I'll have somewhere to go. Now I need to learn about lift out/swing outs. Spanning the hallway could be tricky. Oh my gosh, there's such much time, so little to do! (Willy Wonka)

I'm not sure there is a huge advantage in going around the room. There are many obstacles and if you allow your wife room to breathe, you will have a more harmonious outcome. You can get a nice layout suing the center of the room without restrciting either the hall or the entrance or bathroom.

Note the sections where the layout borders the path can be up to 5 feet wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, but haven't you always wanted a train going around the room?:) I'm sure I need to slow down and think about this. I have, since childhood, wanted a train going around the room. I would have it go through walls if I owned the place. Which brings me to a small problem. I need to make sure that I don't put too many holes in the walls. I figured I would make the large portions free standing, and make the shelves, well, shelves. With a long, narrow shelf I could use small shelf brackets that wouldn't cause too many problems. My biggest concern is the hallway over the bathroom. That is over six feet I need to span. I'm thinking two lift gates that meet in the middle. I could add a removable pillar in the middle. The bathroom is accessible from the master bedroom as well. It's sort of a Jack-n-Jill setup. We will be the only people up there unless we are showing off the trains. There is another bathroom downstairs as well. I guess I'm excited about having a long run and a wide radius for turns. Call me crazy, but I think I can go around the walls. The track work will actually be cheap. The city portion is going to be way more expensive with all of these Peco turnouts.

Well, I guess you can tell that I'm excited. I think it's as much the approval from the wife as the space itself. ALL and I mean ALL input is greatly appreciated.

Whew, deep breath now. :) You are talking about having two lift sections attached to benchwork that's not securely attached to the walls? Structurally, that's going to be a real challenge. Your current plan will be a big enough problem building strong, well-braced benchwork let alone making that work around the whole room. Think about the logistics of this whole thing for a bit. Think about Chip's idea of a table in the center of the room as an alternative. I know the prospect of that real estate is very tempting but it's a lot bigger job than you realize right now.

Whew, deep breath now. :) You are talking about having two lift sections attached to benchwork that's not securely attached to the walls? Structurally, that's going to be a real challenge. .
You have a point there. The middle of the room would be a waste of space otherwise. I slept on it, maybe now I can be realistic.:) The one thing I have to keep in mind is that I don't own this place. We can't legally buy a house for two years, we're planning on living here until we do. Whatever I build has to to be built in sections. Hmmm, back to the drawing board. Never the less, I have negotiated the rights to a much bigger railroad than I had hoped for! Thanks for bearing with me.

Back