Layout Idea

Trimmack

Hello everyone. I'm new the hobby, been interested in it for ever, and for my first layout I want to do the BN Cascadian line focusing on Wenatchee - Seattle. Mainly focusing on Downtown Wenatchee and the fruit packing sheds, apples being Wenatchee's largest export, also putting emphasis on the Cascade Tunnel, and finally ending up in Seattle's Seaport on Puget Sound (tempted to add in the naval base).

I've decided on H0 scale since it is more small space friendly. Now I most likely have space enough for the Wenatchee section but plan on moving in roughly a year. So I've figured that Modules would be easiest. Should I get the modules built and when everything is ready build a bench around that? Or should I have a bench size in mind when I build the modules?

Also how portable would the bench be? Would it start to destabilize after too many moves because the screw holes would be too worn down?

(I haven't had a lot of experience building taking down and rebuilding things such as a model railroad bench.)

Side note: I chose the location because I live in Wenatchee and have seen the tracks, warehouses, and even the Cascade Tunnel in person and the area itself is full of really interesting history and the Cascade Mountains are beautiful.

Welcome to the exiting world of miniature trains! I don't have any experiance in building modules, but I would think you should have some sort of benchwork in mind when you build your module. Also, what year are you modeling?

I'm thinking around 1955. When the Wenatchee area was starting to peak industrial wise. It was also the same year that the Cascade Tunnel was built to bypass the electric switchbacks and dropping the summit down 500 feet in elevation. The tunnel is 7.8 miles long if I remember correctly and has to be ventilated using fans. While a train is passing through the fans are at a low speed to maintain a stable and safe air pressure inside the tunnel but once outside they close one side with a giant door and flush the entire tunnel out for 30 minutes. every 1000-1500 feet is an emergency station with extra oxygen tanks in case a train stalls inside or the ventilation system has a malfunction.

Well I guess for that time frame it would be Great Northern since BN merger didn't happen until 70. But a 1970's model wouldn't be too much of a stretch for me. Just don't know how many photos I can get a hold of during that decade to do building replicas.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much space do you have available? Wenatchee to Seattle is about 170 miles by rail, which is a heck of distance to cover on any size layout. Maybe you should think about one area, like Wenatchee, and model that as a module and then move on to other modules as you get the space, money, time, and experience.

There's a lot of good information about building modules at http://www.free-mo.org/. The idea is to build different parts of you layout in modules that can ultimately be connected to other modules to form a bigger layout. It's a lot easier to start small and work your way up than face a vast expanse of open space and wonder what to do next. :)

Thanks for the link. And right now I have space for roughly 5'x9' (once I get rid of a dresser I never use, don't have enough clothes to warrant both a closet and a dresser). I figured I would have to go modular for what I was looking at just wasn't sure how to go about it. Thats where that handy link will come in :D. Any literature that you would recommend to a new guy thats just getting started?

Yes, indeed. The first would be a short read done by one of members, Spacemouse (Chip) at http://www.chipengelmann.com/trains/Beginner/BeginnersGuide01.html. This will halp you think about what you really want compared to what you need, the "givens" and "druthers" of you layout. Next, either get at a hobby shop of direct Kalmbach books, Track Planning for Realistic Operation, Third Edition. If you can't get it at a hobby shop, you can order it direct at http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12148.html. This is the "Bible" of track planning books and, if you take the time to read, understand, and absorb what John Armstrong wrote in the book, you'll have a solid background to build yout layout.

Back