Layout help

Dougget

Hi,
I'm not completely new to trains, but let's say it's been many years since my trains have seen daylight :) I have HO and Lionel, but I'm focused on the HO for now.

When I put my trains away, I had a very basic 4x8 layout (double oval) with no scenery or buildings. Just a flat layout to run trains. My board was put in storage, moved a couple of times, etc. I finally decided to set it up again and knew I had some damage repair. I cannibalized some of my staging track to repair main line damage. No big deal. I don't have a lot of rolling stock.

My goals. I have about a 7x7 area to work in. Only one side is against a wall, and I'd like to have a hole the middle for access. I'd like to keep a double main line layout so I can run two trains in opposite directions and I'd like to have two levels of track.

I'd like to be able to run two trains in opposite directions on the two main ovals AND I'd like to have the option to run a single train on both ovals with a couple of switches to get the train from one to the other and back.

Questions:
Can this be done with one transformer or do I need two?
I assume I need two so that I can control the speed of each train independently. How do I isolate the two main lines for operating two trains, but combine them for operating one? What is the recommended slope for an HO layout? Ho much clearance do I need to fit one train under another (what's the tallest rolling stock on the market)?

Thanks for helping a reborn enthusiast.
Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this can all be done but it can be done a lot easier with DCC. It's way easier to set up DCC than it it is power plocks and then having to remember to throw the right toggle switch at the right time. You only need one DCC control station and a DCC decoder in each engine. Although the intial cost may seem high, it will even out in the long run when you compare it to the time you will save in wiring your layout. You also have the option of sound equipped engines, automatic reverse loops, and even using DCC to control things like switches and signals. Check the Beginner's Guide for DCC at www.tonystrainexchange.com for a good overview of DCC. I would not waste the time and effort to build a standard DC layout now that reasonably priced DCC options are available.

I agree with Jim about DCC. The price as compared to 2 DC power supples is even more favorable.

Also, the footprint with side access of a 7 x 7 layout and one side against the wall is 10 x 13. Putting your access in the center of that foot print might give you one heck of a layout.

Back