Layout Help Needed

I have a small area to use and need help with a "possible"? track plan to put there. I made a rough drawing of my plan, scanned it along with information, several questions and my email address, and put it all on a web page: "http://choo-choo-choo-choo.tripod.com/index.html" Any help would be greatly appreciated. Norman Seifert, Swannanoa, NC, USA

Norman: I'm curious as why you didn't post all of that here, on the forum. I believe you will get more response if you do and many can benefit from the answers you receive. You should be able to do a copy and paste to get it on this thread.

Copy & Paste

Track plan images didn't "copy and paste." Here is "copy & paste" of the webpage as requested:

Black Area 38-1/2" X 56"
Brown Area 18" X 26" This is a bookcase shelf next to Black Area.
Orange/Red Area 4" wide.
__________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Track plan for Black Area(top image)

For fun more than running schedules or operations.
Want 2 trains; DCC operation.
This plan has reverse direction for trains.
~~~#6. in plan are uncouplers to disconnect a locomotive.
Switch #5 would go to orange/red area and a track on the brown shelf.
A turntable for reversing the locomotive and a storage track on the brown shelf.

IS THE ABOVE POSSIBLE IN N-SCALE????? IF NOT WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?
IF POSSIBLE:
--->1. DCC information: What DCC brand(Moderate price) is best? How can you know which locomotives work with a DCC unit? When ordering how do you know that the locomotive decoders are compatible and not the same.
--->2. Is the above layout o.k. for passenger trains or freight only?
--->3. Which locomotives would you recommend?
--->4. I have built N and HO layouts with BLOCK section wiring. How would you wire the above layout for DCC?
--->5. How would you control the switches?
--->6. What size curved track?
--->7. What size switches(#1,2,3,4,5)?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY HELP!!!

"stargazing_pilgrim@yahoo.com"

Norman, I answered some of your questions in the other thread you posted on the same subject. It's not a good idea to cross post since you're going to be getting duplicate answers (and effort) in both threads.

Here is your first drawing:

scan0002.jpg

Black Area 38-1/2" X 56"
Brown Area 18" X 26" This is a bookcase shelf next to Black Area.
Orange/Red Area 4" wide.

This your track plan:

scan0001.jpg

For fun more than running schedules or operations.
Want 2 trains; DCC operation.
This plan has reverse direction for trains.
~~~#6. in plan are uncouplers to disconnect a locomotive.
Switch #5 would go to orange/red area and a track on the brown shelf.
A turntable for reversing the locomotive and a storage track on the brown shelf.

Your Questions:

IS THE ABOVE POSSIBLE IN N-SCALE????? IF NOT WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?
IF POSSIBLE:
--->1. DCC information: What DCC brand(Moderate price) is best? How can you know which locomotives work with a DCC unit? When ordering how do you know that the locomotive decoders are compatible and not the same.
--->2. Is the above layout o.k. for passenger trains or freight only?
--->3. Which locomotives would you recommend?
--->4. I have built N and HO layouts with BLOCK section wiring. How would you wire the above layout for DCC?
--->5. How would you control the switches?
--->6. What size curved track?
--->7. What size switches(#1,2,3,4,5)?

This now gives us a starting point with everything in one place. I don't have the time right now but I'll address your questions later. BTW, post a URL without quote marks and it will automatically be converted to a clickable link, like this:

http://choo-choo-choo-choo.tripod.com/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small area to use and need help with a "possible"? track plan to put there. I made a rough drawing of my plan, scanned it along with information, several questions and my email address, and put it all on a web page: "http://choo-choo-choo-choo.tripod.com/index.html" Any help would be greatly appreciated. Norman Seifert, Swannanoa, NC, USA

I recommend downloading either Atlas RTS 8.0 or XTrkCAD software and playing around with whatever designs sound fun or interesting to you. With n-scale you probably could fit a more complex layout in that space if you wish or use a simple HO layout of that design. From my research on DCC I chose the Digitrax Zephyr starter set because seems well suited for n-scale layouts with up to 4-5 trains running (unless you plan on controlling a number of switches through DCC or have alot of lighted rolling stock / structures in which case bump than down to around 3-4. These are only rough estimates) If you're looking to walk around the layout with a handheld throttle instead then I recommend either Lenz Set-90/Set-100 systems or Digitrax Super Chief. As they all say you should look over each system and decide which has the features you want. Here's some helpful links.

Atlas RTS 8.0 (simple, easy to use layout planning using atlas track): http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm

XTrkCAD (more advanced layout planning with various brand track available): http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

DCC Systems Comparison sites:
http://www.litchfieldstation.com/lobby/u_sets1.htm
http://www.tonystrains.com/productco...comparison.htm
http://www.p4me.net/DCC/systems.html

P.S. In answer to your questions:
1. See above
2. That depends on the radius of the curves. Typically an 11" minimum radius is recommended for locos like the 4-8-4 Northern and SD-70.
3. Whichever you desire. If you go with tight turns then you can count out and locos with long drive trucks and long steam locos.
4. Google DCC wiring, that should give you an idea of how it works.
5. Either with the usual toggle switches or if you want to spend the money, through DCC with stationary decoders.
6. Again I recommend 11" minimum.
7. Atlas RTS or XtrkCAD should help with that.

Norman: Your track plans are .jpg which is ideal for posting. If you click edit on your post, then click "go advanced" at bottom, then look down the page passed the text box and you will see "manage attachments". Click this and click a Browse button to open up your computer files where your photos are. Select file and then click upload. This will give you a thumbnail picture that can be clicked on for opening.

Reworking Plans

Thanks 4 ALL the good info. I am now reworking my plans with less reversing sections, more sidings, and 2 main lines. I have Abracadata software(3D Railroad and track design) and will use it; then after time to be sure about my plan, I will present it here for evaluation, and any questions.
"It's best to know where the train is going, before you get on it." Norman

1. See above
2. That depends on the radius of the curves. Typically an 11" minimum radius is recommended for locos like the 4-8-4 Northern and SD-70.
3. Whichever you desire. If you go with tight turns then you can count out and locos with long drive trucks and long steam locos.
4. Google DCC wiring, that should give you an idea of how it works.
5. Either with the usual toggle switches or if you want to spend the money, through DCC with stationary decoders.
6. Again I recommend 11" minimum.
7. Atlas RTS or XtrkCAD should help with that.

Onryou, I hope you meant a 22" minimum radius curve.
The RTS software bears the same interface as a product called WinRail.
It is made by a European company. They don't quite understand conversion to US measurments.
I have been dealing with this software for 4 years. Their flex-track subroutine does not show the correct measurement.
The track on the left was made with Bachmann EZ Track, 22" radius curves.
You can see the the "lowest radius" shown on the flex-teack calculator is 11".
Find the copy of MR with their review of the Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-4.
The review states that a 22" is minimum, but looks better on a larger curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nuts. I hate having insomnia. I miss details.
I am right about the software. It took me a while to figure it out. If you have RTS, try it. Make your two curves in contrasting colors and superimpose one over the other. The curves are close to identical.

Back