Lauan, foam, lauan sandwich?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Beachbum

Over the years, I've built benchwork from plywood and Homasote, extruded foam alone, extruded foam glued to hollow core doors, etc.

I want to build some light weight layout sections and I'm thinking of laying out a grid of 1X2s, attaching a layer of thin lauan (luan?) on top of that, then laminating a layer of extruded foam on top of that. Then I'm thinking of using another layer of lauan for roadbed. I've tried WS foam and obviously cork and I'm not excited about Homabed ($$$) or ceiling tile (possible inhalation hazard).

Opinions? And how does one bevel lauan roadbed? I do not have a router.

Thanks!

boatwrench

I had never heard of Lauan until this past weekend when I went to a local hobby shop for a small show. There was a sectional HOn3 layout that the onwer and I discussed lightweight benchwork techniques. The layout base was 2" pink extruded foam. The basic frame was 1x2 dimension lumber with Luan in place of Masonite facia. He also used luan for the road bed attached to the foam for roadbed and placed the track directly on the luan. I was impressed with how quiet the layout was, no gear noise transfered to the big kettle drum skin of plywood. The road bed had no profile bevel as the railroad was a log hauler. The layout was a loop to loop with straight sections about 6'x2' and the two 4'x6 end loop sections. He stated the end sections weighed in at about 25#s.

Beachbum

Is there a reason for using the Luan for the roadbed?

Well... I don't care for the WS foam and while I used cork on my latest, I had to sand it down to what I considered a good height. I'm considering cork sheet (thinner) but that might involve a lot of waste. I can buy a huge roll of cork underlayment though for about $120 from HoPo. Lauan is a possble alternative. Maybe.

Haven't been to DT yet to see if I can find the foam product you mentioned.

kenw

5th Generation Texian
One thing to remember is that styrofoam (either blue, pink or expanded (white beads) must be covered to meet most building codes.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.