kz9's Starts to Build Domino Sections Until He Finds Bigger House....

kz9

Well after a long time away from the hobby, I have decided to return to it. Now with the addtion of my daughter to the family the basement is no longer a layout room...:D more of a playroom and rec room.

I still have all of my stuff neatly and safely stored away indoors, and also still have my paint booth and work bench still in their closets.

Now with my daughter being 16 months and not planning another for a year, I want to at least do something. Lately I have been into custom computer building, but finding that its VERY expensive, and that there is no point in building anymore as I have 8 high end rigs already. Why 8? Well I got into Folding@Home and find I like helping that cause which may help out others in ther future.

Well enough of me rambling on about my past 2 years, lets get to trains!!:D

I am going to start construction of 33'' x 96'' (some shorter) sections for the track plan I have drawn up. Building in this method will allow me to work on a section and then store it away when I am not. I will be using 3/4'' ply with 1'' or 2'' foam. This will keep the height down as I will be constucting a shelf system in my laundry room to store these. Also down the road when I have completed a few sections I can always set them up for a little switching operations to run my trains.

I don't have the room for the Helix's so those will not be constructed until my next house which we plan on moving to when our second child is 2 or so.

Here is the general layout with helix. It was originally going to be a triple decker, but if the next home allows, will be on single level, or maybe 2. The sections I build will be the longer sections that can be incorperated into whatever space I have next.

Bottom-1.jpg

Middle-1.jpg

Top-1.jpg

I will be going to get my first sheet of plywood and foam this week....

Stay tuned......

Hey Kellan, welcome back. I thought you were moving when you tore down your layout. Couldn't stay away could you.

Looking forward to seeing the plan, it looks interesting. A triple decker, geeeezus.

I'm still working on my layout. Right now I'm building an 9'x9' extension room, because my 12'x15' wasn't big enough. LOL

I build high end rigs too, but for PC gaming, don't do any folding. Very expensive hobby. As with the trains too.

Good luck on the new layout.

Thanks for the greetings man. Ya I noticed a thread about your addition. I do like the compression on the roundhouse.

I game aswell, currently hooked on WOT (world of tanks). This is a pic of my gaming rig

3930k (4.8@1.45v) and SLI GTX 680's. All Koolance WC. I may change the case to my Corsair 800D as its kinda tacky for my tastes now....

IMG_8395_zps43d0429e.jpg

Wow nice setup! Nice OC on that 3930k also!

I have the 3770k OC'd to 4.5Ghz. Asus Sabertooth Z77. Cooling it with Corsair H100. A single HD7950 with dual 24" monitors. Case is the NZXT Switch 810

Right now the games I'm playing are Assasins Creed 3, Farcry 3 <-totally badass, and Hitman Absolution.

Are you a member on Hardforums? I've been there for a long time.

Here's my rig...

P1010168.jpg

Nice rig. I delidded and lapped my 3770k and got a 13 degree drop in temps.

I am a member of OCN (overclock.net)

Kellan! Welcome back! I have been on and off from modeling as well, and have not been on the forums as much in the last year or so, but like you, I have just recently got bit by the modeling bug again lol. Im going to start working on a couple modules for a aggregate and concrete batch plant, basing it off of a local plant/mine.

Anyways, I once again look forward to seeing you progress, this time on your modules! I like your plans, and man you are going to have some nice industries again to have some fun with! :eek::D

Be battling this damm cold for the past 2 weeks so I have not had the energy to even go buy the wood for the first section.

All I have been able to do is a inventory of my equipment, which is more than I need, and buy some more things from Ebay for good deals.

I have noticed since the last time I was on Ebay that prices are higher than the last time I have been on there. I seen a Athearn Collectables VIA P42 go for $500!!!! Holy Crap! I got mine from the LHS for $130 2 years ago!!!!

Maybe it's as planned, but it looks like you have some long reaches. Can you access Interstate Fuel, the RIP track area by the blast furnace and Valley Yard for rerailing and maintenance without too much hassle?

Great plan though!

Just a note - the helix in the top right doesn't seem to have any way to get out, unless you're planning to back the trains out of it. All three tracks to it are in the same direction.

I just found this thread today and i must say i like the steel mill section, it has a nice flow to it. I might just use some of it as i am not totally happy with my track plan and this would help mine flow better. My new plan is totally steel related with two docks.
I to am building mine in sections, i have a 2 x 16 section started.

Cheers ironman

Hey kellan i have been studying the steel mill portion and i just have a few questions .
It looks like where you are showing the high line and the hot bottle pickup are from the same end. um i just looked at my mill and you cant do that, i am not sure how to explain it any simpler. I am just not sure which is the high line on the track plan.

cheers ironman

Never mind the last comment,i just turned my mill around and voila, now i see which is the high line.

talk about a brain fart cheers ironman

Hey kellan, what heights would the levels be at? my plan is an around the wall with a peninsula, i am going to use your steel mill track section and just put it in place instead. i really like the way it flows together from one end to the other, will be good for operations.

Iam going to get more ply and foam today, and then i will start my own build. you will have to come for an op session later, i am just south of barrie.

cheers ironman

I have not really decided on hieghts. I think I wanted 16'' min between levels.

Start a build log so I can keep track.....lol

Back