Kriegsloks building shops

After shaving some brass from between two cylinder halves, and also a little off the main frame, i've got the cylinders to sit where they belong:
IMG_20240225_190725004.jpg

It looks proper now with those huge cylinders. Real ones had 30x32 size cylinders. Instead of trying to drill more holes and tap them, i just soldered the whole cylinder assembly into the main frame.
IMG_20240225_190738794_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240225_190815729.jpg

I couldn't spin the wheels with full valve gear yet, since the crosshead assembly was soldered to fit the smaller cast cylinder heads. I had to disassemble the valve gear to see what i need to do to the crosshead support rack. Some resoldering was required mainly to lower the crosshead slide bars.
IMG_20240225_191128925.jpg

Lastly after the slide bars were soldered in proper position, i started to reassemble the valve gear. That's it for today as it's sleep time.
IMG_20240225_191157812.jpg

Today...way too many errands, so i sat down to the L&NE decapod very late. Just put together the full valve gear. First i've had to modify and solder in the valve guides to the cylinder block. Valve gear works, but i'll have to do some more tinkering with it before deeming it done:
IMG_20240302_225943357.jpg
IMG_20240302_230008242_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240302_230022321_HDR.jpg

The crossheads are way too lose and one of the back plates on crosshead is spinning loose , causing the crosshead to fall off its guide. I might have to modify the crossheads some more to make them stay on the guides.
IMG_20240302_230152162_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240302_230305210.jpg

Slowly it's coming along and all the major parts are on. After i solve the crosshead problems, i can start soldering on all the details.

If I attempted what you are doing here, my project would look nothing like a locomotive, and it would have no chance of actually working. Thanks for posting your progress!
Thank you...but we all start from 0, my first scratch built was actually a shell of an electric locomotive riding on a heavily chopped up and modified Bachmann chasis. It worked only because it already sported necessary gears and a motor. Never mind that in one direction it went faster than in the other direction. That's the fun of it, working on it and developing the skills in the process.

Regular workday today, but getting up unusually late tomorrow, so a little more progress on the L&NE F-1;
IMG_20240305_230146508_HDR.jpg

Turret in front of the cab and roof hatch is soldered on. I also started on the sand lines out of the sand dome.
IMG_20240305_230521536.jpg

Drawing of Western Maryland I2 and pictures of its L&NE counterpart look very similar, so i based the placement of those on the drawing. These are a challenge and i only managed one side tonight.
IMG_20240305_230130455_HDR.jpg

The other side should be easier since i have an idea how short to cut them and how to mount them. I have soldered in the shields to the sand dome, drilled shallow holes inside the shields and drilled through the walkway to thread them in. Soldered under the walkway and they are held firmly inside the shields on top. I will not bother running them all the way to the wheels as there will be far more detail under the walkways and for obvious ease of maintenance when disconnecting the boiler from running gear.

I never paid much attention to European locomotives until recently.
European steam is truly beautiful for the most part. Modern American steam tends to have that heavy brutish look and the locomotives are in fact a lot heavier. "American school" favors fewer trains with more cars per train because of far longer distances traveled. Where Europe is more densely populated with towns closer together, therefore lighter rail is used with more frequent service. Locomotives tend to be not as heavy and they look "less dense", especially the fast passenger types. Each country had their own style and their own locomotive factory, kind of like going from Santa Fe Topeka shops and heading over to Milwaukee locomotive shops in their namesake city.

European steam is truly beautiful for the most part. Modern American steam tends to have that heavy brutish look and the locomotives are in fact a lot heavier. "American school" favors fewer trains with more cars per train because of far longer distances traveled. Where Europe is more densely populated with towns closer together, therefore lighter rail is used with more frequent service. Locomotives tend to be not as heavy and they look "less dense", especially the fast passenger types. Each country had their own style and their own locomotive factory, kind of like going from Santa Fe Topeka shops and heading over to Milwaukee locomotive shops in their namesake city.
I can't let the B&O's Mount Clare Shops be left out!

The B&O's Mount Clare Shops is the oldest railroad manufacturing complex in the United States, located in Baltimore, Maryland. It was founded by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) in 1829. Mt. Clare was the site of many inventions and innovations in railroad technology. It is now the site of the B&O Railroad Museum. The museum and Mt. Clare station were designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961

I can't let the B&O's Mount Clare Shops be left out!

The B&O's Mount Clare Shops is the oldest railroad manufacturing complex in the United States, located in Baltimore, Maryland. It was founded by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) in 1829. Mt. Clare was the site of many inventions and innovations in railroad technology. It is now the site of the B&O Railroad Museum. The museum and Mt. Clare station were designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961
This is probably the most complete railroad museum on the continent, spanning the railroad history form very beginnings. I didn't forget😉, just gave examples.

Just a few today, as my day is cut up in half do to car allingement appointment. Did the sand lines on engineers side, rain gutters on the cab and what is the hardest detail; drilled holes in the boiler for hand rail stantions. Problem with those is, unlike most steamers where the hand rail follows the contour of the boiler, the ones on F-1 decapod are straight as an arrow and the stantions vary in length to keep it that way.
IMG_20240316_112047409.jpg

No credit given for this picture, but it's in my newest book "Only yesterday on the Lehigh & New England Railroad" by Robert F. Fischer.
IMG_20240316_111438317.jpg
IMG_20240316_111454350_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240316_111515535.jpg

Back