Kicking Horse River Sub

syrous

Hi guys I have been on this forum for about a month. I am starting this layout thread on my 3x8 foot n scale layout. Its based on the CP RAIL line between Field and Golden British Columbia along the Kicking Horse River. Its freelanced layout based on prototypical locations of Field BC and the Kicking Horse River valley.

My next couple posts will be snippets from my entries on another forum to get you up to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
So i was playing with more ideas for my track plan. I decided to lengthen the major siding to allow for passenger trains without blocking the main line.
Also I along with the middle backdrop divider, I am modeling a mountain at one side for a scene divider. On the other side I decided to model the Transcanada highway overpass to break up the scenery. Not to mention the countless pines I am going to have.
raje7aze.jpg

So a little update. Printed some to scale unitrack pieces and laid my track plan out and finalized it how I liked it.
ube5e2ud.jpg
8ana2e2y.jpg
ada8a5yz.jpg

Been a while since I last posted. Made some more progress on the layout.
I have finished my subbase framing seen here.
jy5e8ury.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/25/u8yveja5.jpg[/IMG
I also have installed the backdrop divider for my layout. [IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/25/yga2u8en.jpg
7y3ymusu.jpg
qa5evavu.jpg

Next I will be laying down the track base and once that is done will be cutting and forming my terrain base skeletal structure.
Let me know what you think so far.

u4utusuh.jpg

Here is a shot of the plastered valley.
3yvy3u3a.jpg

More land forming below track level. Some more angle shots.
sujybebu.jpg
8ymysygu.jpg

In this last pic its hard to make out do to lighting but here is my dirt road that will lead to the camping area along the shore line.
uby8e5a9.jpg
9y9yvyhu.jpg

Here are two shots of the valley cut the engineers have made by removing a rock cliff and old problematic tunnel. In the foreground a creek flowing to meet the river.

More progress on my mountain canyon ridge. More hot glue burns and strips of cardboard later.
eraze5uj.jpg

You can start to see the little gully under the over pass and the flat ridge in middle of mountain side.
Better angle seen here.
5eruquhe.jpg

And here is a shot looking down the Trans Canada cut through the ridge. As you can see I am modeling nice steep inclined cut.
8azy2aha.jpg

Finally got my wiring done of my track. All tested and working.
8ygynymy.jpg
upararu7.jpg

All that needs to be done is wiring my turnouts and turnout control panel. That will wait for a bit as I will be throwing them manually. Currently working on a pull out kato throttle panel.

So got some more landforms in tonight. Worked on the yard side of the layout building up a gentle rolling slope with some sharper slides.
3yryseza.jpg
CP 9516 coming through the tunnel.
ategybub.jpg
A aireal view of the yard and slope.
Here are some rail fanning shots of CP 9516 coming into the yard.
syqa4ate.jpg
u6unuves.jpg

So this my layout progress in a quick few posts. More updates to come.

I also added my YouTube intro video below, please feel free to sub and comment on my channel. I will be posting updates, how to's, modeling techniques, train running, and finally real fanning vids.

Intro to my Kicking Horse River Sub N Scale Layout: http://youtu.be/yramPaV4kCQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! That's a lot of plaster, but it looks good. What did you dip in the plaster (paper towels, drier sheets, something else)?

Very nice job of documenting the construction of your model, and I like your layout!! Thanks for posting!! lasm

Back