Kato Unitrack length

Gibster

Can't seem to find an answer with a site search so thought I'd ask.

Can Kato Unitrack be shortened if need be when creating a layout? I've got a couple of spots on a layout that require shorter curve sections than are available.

Cheers and looking forward to your comments.

Gib

Last edited:
I can say from my experience that its not all that hard to cut the track to what you need, then after cutting it clean. Take a Dremal and grind the two areas where the track is and that gives you the clearance to install the connectors to hold the track together. I have some micro engineering connectors i used on mine. I also used some Atlas as well. One thing is to not screw up the angle of the curve. Make sure its a perfect mate. take your time.

Thank you for the response. I'll give it a try. I was thinking of getting a piece of Kato Flex track and cut that to size. I've got some extra pieces of Unitrack though and will give shortening one a try.

I have found Unitrack to be somewhat forgiving when actually placed on a layout surface. In other words, there is a bit of wiggle room that won't affect performance or reliability. Perhaps lay some track temporarily and see if you can take up the gap that you may have on a layout design program (like AnyRail for example).

I have found Unitrack to be somewhat forgiving when actually placed on a layout surface. In other words, there is a bit of wiggle room that won't affect performance or reliability. Perhaps lay some track temporarily and see if you can take up the gap that you may have on a layout design program (like AnyRail for example).
I am using AnyRail and after fiddling around with different switches, curves, and straights got something that managed to connect. Now just a matter of starting to build the layout. I've got a 3 x 3.3 meter office I'm thinking of building the layout in. It will be U shaped and be a busy layout to watch trains run on. Lots of room for switching to. No special time period, and no specific region.

I've attached a jpg of it. Like I said, busy layout. There is a desk and chair on the bottom left where the program track comes out, and a 55" OLED TV over the right side. Window behind the center section of the layout. I'm not good at drawing programs so can't create the room itself.

Comments OK. You won't hurt my feelings :)

Attachments

• NoNameStation-2.jpg
    NoNameStation-2.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 13
I am using AnyRail and after fiddling around with different switches, curves, and straights got something that managed to connect. Now just a matter of starting to build the layout. I've got a 3 x 3.3 meter office I'm thinking of building the layout in. It will be U shaped and be a busy layout to watch trains run on. Lots of room for switching to. No special time period, and no specific region.

I've attached a jpg of it. Like I said, busy layout. There is a desk and chair on the bottom left where the program track comes out, and a 55" OLED TV over the right side. Window behind the center section of the layout. I'm not good at drawing programs so can't create the room itself.

Comments OK. You won't hurt my feelings :)
Nice track plan...it looks like you have a couple of reverse tracks which is something I like to have. Lots of operation possibilities. I have all Kato turnouts, a bit of unitrack, and also run flex track in between.

Back