Kato double "Z" #4s

dgrafix

Ok quick story. 2 DC controllers and one of those Z type double switches by Kato.
One controller controls one line the other the other.
1700933239425.png

line on controller 1¨¨¨Z______line on controller 2

I know when switched and passing over to other line, the controllers should be set in the same direction and same "speed" aka roughly the same voltage. But how should i use the selections? i am guessing i do not want power routing? and what about the frogs? Should these be powered?
When not switched i want to run the trains in either directions.

Last edited:
Hmm looking at the back it has 2 of these, one for each switch.
20231126_153747.jpg

It says it's set to power routing but it only seems to route it straight, not to the track in between the two lines 🫤

Ahh I get it now.. it's the OPPOSITE to what it says..

In power routing it does not power either other side top or bottom line.
In non power routing it just powers the straight line without unpowering it. This seems the case for both sides which is the mode I want. Also seems to work better(safer with frogs unpowered)
So for me routing off (which seems to really mean on?? 😵‍💫) And turning the frogs off which allows the train to slip over the points the non switched direction without shorting out on the frog. It's misleading because I would have thought power routing mode would power the other line. But this is not the case, power routing just turns off the same line after the switch.

Thanks for the replies everyone, think I have solved it with some test track and my pocket line testing minions :)

I believe these are not power routing but Im pretty sure you need feeders both ends.
I think one controller does both switches as one?
yes one pulse switches both.

Last edited:
I have 3 in my layout and powered track on both sides ( no problems at all . Both switches plugged into same connector . Only thing I did was pay attention to directionswitch was in before connecting to switch controller and put switch inthat position before powering . Dindnt do anything with screws !
mike

Last edited:

Back