Kato DCC switch machines

JoeRails

Hi
Has anyone used the HO scale Kato DCC switch machines (29099 - R, 29098 - L)? I am thinking of using them but would like to find out what others have experienced.
Thanks

It seems as though no one has used them. I'm not too surprised now. I called Kato USA and they have no idea what features are supported (position of points, direct control of turnout). I will get one and try it. I like the idea of having a DCC control that attaches in the same way as the DC Turnout Machine.

Your question might be better placed in Layout Design and Construction or Wiring, Electronics and DCC.

I use Tortoise machines but not hooked up to the DCC. I have enough problem keeping the locomotives running - to add in the switch control would probably be more than my mind and fingers could handle :eek:)
Regards,
Jon
http://www.dollhousedesigns.com/ModelRR/ModelRR.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, there's no doubt the Kato DCC switch machines will work. Tje issue for me is that you need a stationary decoder for each switch, which adds around $12 to each switch machine. In addition, you need to have a controller, or, more likely, a booster, to make sure you have enough amps available for both the trains and stationary decoders. There's certainly a "cool" factor about controlling switches with DCC, but the extra cost over installing a standard slow motion machine like the Tortoise and activating it with a standard control panel hasn't convinced me that stationary DCC controllers are a good investment yet.

Thanks for the feedback!!!
JonNFL - Your right. I will repost in the Electronics & DCC... Thanks
UP2CSX - These particular devices have the stationary decoder built in. If you are converting a manual Kato switch, as I am, you just attach it as you would the Kato DC turnout machine. You then attach the 2 wires to local DCC track feeds and you can control the switch. Much less wiring but I don't know it these machines allow for panel control or give position feed back. I agree if there were enough stationary and mobile decoders I would consider adding a separate power district or an additional booster.
Maybe the question I should ask is how to control a Kato DC turnout machine from a standard control panel :)
Thanks for your comments and I appreciate any other insight you can provide

Joe:

I'm not sure if you're interested but I'm using the NCE Switchit in conjunction with Tortoise machines. One Switchit controls two Tortoise machines with local push button control and/or DCC address control. It is a great system that we've used on several Free-mo modules.

Jacob

Joe, from what I can find, those DCC replacement switch machine controllers for the standard Kato Unitrack switch only work with DCC, since there is no external wiring. You assign them an address and then use your DCC controller to throw the switch. There is no feedback as to what position the switch is in or if the switch has indeed been thrown. I can't see how you would rig up a postion indicator since the switch has a dead frog and there would be no way to know the position of the points. You may want to read http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm for a lot more information about switches and wiring than I can tell you.

Joe:

I'm not sure if you're interested but I'm using the NCE Switchit in conjunction with Tortoise machines. One Switchit controls two Tortoise machines with local push button control and/or DCC address control. It is a great system that we've used on several Free-mo modules.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob. They have something similar for Kato switches. I think it's called KatSwitch or SwitchKat or something like that :). I have definitely considered it and it may be the way to go. The layout is in 2 separate rooms and may expand into 2 more. Unfortunately I can't remove walls to make it 1 large space. Having the option to control turnouts via a walk around cab would really help.
Joe

Joe, from what I can find, those DCC replacement switch machine controllers for the standard Kato Unitrack switch only work with DCC, since there is no external wiring. You assign them an address and then use your DCC controller to throw the switch. There is no feedback as to what position the switch is in or if the switch has indeed been thrown. I can't see how you would rig up a postion indicator since the switch has a dead frog and there would be no way to know the position of the points. You may want to read http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm for a lot more information about switches and wiring than I can tell you.

Thanks Jim. As usual you are a wealth of information:) I couldn't get that info speaking with Kato U.S. directly. As I said in my response to Jacob I will look at other alternatives and I will check out the article you have recommended.
Joe

Back