Kato 2-8-2 issue

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
First up - the problem I have with the 2-8-2 was caused by me not changing y wiring from Accessories to Track Power on my controller. I think I managed to burn out the motor or decoder or something as I get absolutely nothing from the engine at all, zilch.

I have tried finding a service manual, without success, so I could attempt to pull it apart and see if I could see any damage, although I have no idea what I might be looking for. I was going to email Kato USA however they don't seem to have email contacts. I guess that way they can't be held accountable for anything they tell (or don't tell) customers. Contacting Kato Japan is possible but have to wonder if my email will get to an English person???

Anyway - I have no idea what is wrong with the engine and if it wasn't a Kato Mike I probably wouldn't be concerned, but they are not gettable any more (new I mean) so I would like to get this one fixed.

What I am trying to say is - is there anyone here who might be prepared to have a look at my Engine and let me know what needs to be done and get it back in working order as a DCC Engine? Needless to say, I would pay who ever would be prepared to help me out.

I have tried finding a service manual, without success,
https://hoseeker.net/nscale.htm has a service sheet for the N scale Mikes

Looking at their diagram, I can't see any retaining screws for the bodyshell it seems to have 3 sections two sections either side that are at the bottom of the boiler that need to be released first, then the boiler and cab should come free, I'm not explaining this properly, just take a look mate.

Contacting Kato Japan is possible but have to wonder if my email will get to an English person
Most Japanese who work for international companies speak some English, and there is usually someone who would be able translate and help.
I notice there is a Phone No. for Kato USA, have you tried that?

Sorry if I'm being a bit short, I'm having to rush a bit, catch you later.

Thanks Gents and yep - Terry's idea is a good one. I'll give them a call sometime today.

By the way - and this is sure to ruffles some feathers - if I can't email someone regarding an issue and have things in writing, I see no point in calling. Customer Service here will tell you anything then retract whatever was said or deny it. A lot harder to do that when it has to be in writing :)

No I haven't and to be honest (on two fronts) if Kato will repair it for $50 then I wont mess around with it. It'll be worth it to me to have it done properly by the manufacturer :) And secondly, ever since he started giving bachmann rubbish high "grades" AFTER he had to work on them to get them running for two or three days, I lost all confidence in his reviews and opinions.

No I haven't and to be honest (on two fronts) if Kato will repair it for $50 then I wont mess around with it. It'll be worth it to me to have it done properly by the manufacturer :) And secondly, ever since he started giving bachmann rubbish high "grades" AFTER he had to work on them to get them running for two or three days, I lost all confidence in his reviews and opinions.
Yea, the route your planning is probably a better one. Those look delicate to disassemble.

Let us know the outcome.

Back