Kadee PLASTIC couplers

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
On my last trip to the LHS I picked up a few packets of offset couplers. As Kadee is the only coupler I use now, I don't bother to read the package other than the specifics I'm lookin for, in this case the over and under offsets with a short shank.
Well, I got home, unloaded the shopping bags and just tossed these packers in the desk drawer.
Today, I noticed the packets and decided to put them in the small parts drawers. While doing so, I noticed they look plastic. I gave one a slight twist and sure enough, plastic.
Since when has Kadee gone cheap on us? There's no reason for them to downgrade to the McHenry non-coupler quality.

20240405_204716.jpg

Someone write a letter to Kadee. Add the word "plastic" on the bag!
I'm sure some legal beagle will argue that the statement is correct in that the coupling is indeed made of metal, and although the shank is an integral part of how the coupling works, the shank is not the coupling, hence it's called a shank.

Isn't legalese wonderful ?

Maybe they should have added the type of coupler on the package IE: plastic shank and metal knuckle
But all you need to do is look at Kadee site and instructions and they will tell you what they are
I've used those in standard Kadee boxes 232 or 242 no problem at all
Here's the chart for them says it right at top
https://www.kadee.com/media/documents/coupler_ho_handout.pdf
As you said, it's also clear on their website that they are part plastic, it's never been hidden by Kadee.

Not intentionally hidden but for the casual shopper, it isn't obvious, as I picked up a couple packs. No where on the package does it say plastic. Only on the web site. I didn't consult the website when I was in the store. I guess I should have, and with that, I guess I should have checked into the source of the material to ensure it didn't endanger people, violate laws and complied with all production regulations, etc. etc. etc. like everybody else does when they shop. I guess I'm just slackin.

Back