Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek:
I believe he got it from Moose Caboose on West Liberty Rd in Eldersburg, MD (Accross from the Windfield Fire House)

Right Tim!:D

I did just double check the receipt...it was $89.95 plus tax, not 85.
But still,way cheaper than list, even cheaper than anywhere I have seen online! :eek:

Oh, and detail wise,,here she is with 2 of her Atlas bretheren...
S4meetsS2s.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wowsers! That is a great looking layout you have, Karl. The Bachmann model fits in well with the Altas S units.

My second alco arrived, a P2K S-3. I've added a pic with her next to my HH600. This is my first P2K loco I am impressed by the level of detail on the Proto shells. After seeing what the S-3 is like, I want to get an undecorated Sw1200 now. I'm not so sure about the mechanism as it has an open frame motor. I think a company called A-Line has replacement motors. Not sure if I'll go an Atlas mech, Bachmann mech or just rebuild the P2K mech.

I will have to try and finish a few loco projects before I get carried away buying more stuff. These two have to wait until the EMD switchers are done (still need to order a few detail parts). At present I have only finished one engine, the Bachmann GE 45 tonner in the second pic.

I included an extra pic or two of the GE 45tonner straight out of the box next to an Alco D531 export series in NSWGR 1960's livery. The D531 was intended as a narrow gauge loco for 3'6" and meter gauge railways, but was used on standard and broad gauge in Australia. They were also employed in South America (Peru I think), Malaysia, Thailand, and I think Pakastan might have had some.

Karl and Alcomotive, YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO LOOK AT THIS PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TURN BACK NOW!!!!!!

My next batch of victims for conversion into slugs.

0012-8.jpg

:eek:OH MY EYES, IT BURNS!!!:eek:

You dont really want me to crack open my junkbox and start cobbling together a couple freaks, do ya??

Oh my! That is a lot of loco shells. Umm, I just thought I might post one little link to some pics of the world's coolest Alco:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=262691&nseq=1

The Alco 244E was the first class of diesel used on the Indonesian government railways (PT KA). Note the central truck is for weight distribution only. It isn't powered. The prototype runs on 3'6" narrow gauge. This engine is preserved now and heads the PT KA's equivilent to the NS business train.

OK, that's it. No more Alcos, promise.

ummm....aaaaaack! sluurp, drool......so whacha doin now Jerome? You didnt think I would miss this page/ forum/ thread did ya? lol Been a while happy new year buddy and everyone else. Hope all is well and you all have a great 2012.

Karl and Alcomotive, YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO LOOK AT THIS PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TURN BACK NOW!!!!!!

My next batch of victims for conversion into slugs.

0012-8.jpg

You keep this up. I'm gonna be buying every cheap victim at trains shows... Attempting to create a Jerome master piece!

I tell everyone hello!
I have been following this topic ... just understand that the switch on the model plays a key role!
I have a CD about the building layout and there is very contagious, so to speak told that the switch is the soul of the layout ... ;-)
I also began to realize that this is correct! The switch emphasizes the force of the layout!
I caught the BN I like how models are obtained this way!
Well I bought this switch ... BN 49 ATHEARN. Price $ 95.

Now details about this model -
I just opened the box and it started!
As they say has not yet picked up, and already broken)))
Mesh over the engine flew off at once;
All rails are glued very poorly ... as if no glue;
The paint on the railing of poorly kept;
Once you do not understand how to keep and what to take up this model.

I have many models of American manufacturers ... toleo and this plays a negative role ... only saves a great motor;-)

I tell everyone hello!
I have been following this topic ... just understand that the switch on the model plays a key role!
I have a CD about the building layout and there is very contagious, so to speak told that the switch is the soul of the layout ... ;-)
I also began to realize that this is correct! The switch emphasizes the force of the layout!
I caught the BN I like how models are obtained this way!
Well I bought this switch ... BN 49 ATHEARN. Price $ 95.

Now details about this model -
I just opened the box and it started!
As they say has not yet picked up, and already broken)))
Mesh over the engine flew off at once;
All rails are glued very poorly ... as if no glue;
The paint on the railing of poorly kept;
Once you do not understand how to keep and what to take up this model.

I have many models of American manufacturers ... toleo and this plays a negative role ... only saves a great motor;-)

I have two of the undecorated RTR SW1500's. Quality control is not good. Handrails were distorted or miscasted. Some components were missing.

No problem for me though, as Athearn replaced to missing parts. I didn't bother them with the hailrail issue as I will use Smokey Valley brass handrails instead.

I'm not a big fan of plastic handrails. Older Athearn bluebox had metal handrails which might make a cheap and easy substitue for the current flimsy plastic ones.

I'd say this is a good opportunity to learn how to super detail switchers. The motor is Japanese (mashimia) and the pick up and transmition is a good design. Not sure about materials or lubrication. But the mechanism should be a winner. So super detailing is definiately worth the trouble.

Paul B

So what? For this model, there is tuning? ;-) There is a company that makes metal railings?
Well buy the railing, and who sells?
I'll stick plastic and going crazy... Tomorrow morning, this model will be showing at the exhibition... I try to have time to put marafet )))

If time is a problem, you'll have to tack it together. After that maybe look at super detailing.

Smokey Valley does the hailrails. You might need to do a bit of soldering and make a jig.

Canon & co have a treadplate and step set.

I get mine from these people:

http://www.toytrainheaven.com/

Paul B

Yeah ... This detail ;-) I'm afraid to spoil the paint on the sides. I would not want to paint this switch.

PaulB - Thanks for the link! I will seek...

Saw this at the LHS and it begged me to take it home with me. For $25, I said sure...

Switchers can be steam, too!

View attachment 26986

That's a nice looking engine. Praries and Atlantics are my 2 favorite steamers. I just picked up a couple of Bachmann 0-6-0T's though. I don't really like tank engines but they're small enough to run nicely on a 4x8 and I've kind of settled on modelling the Mojave Northern.

Cheers,
Ken

I guess I do not write in the subject ... but just want to share good;-)
This model SW 1500, Athearn switch after all the alterations! looks great in action!

p.s. I think I have no clue ... I switch ... ;-)

Hi Rustam,

I am happy it worked out for the train show.

I have two of these Athearn RTR SW1500's. Both undecorated and I haven't finished detailing them yet (maybe if I spend less time posting on Jerome's thread, I'd have them finished by now).

The motor is very high quaility (Japanese made Mashima) and the drive train and pick up system is the latest design. So it has a very good mechanism.

The details could be better and so could the quality control. I thinkl these engines are worth fixing up though, as detailing isn't too much of a problem. The main thing is th mechanism makes it worth the trouble.

Paul B

Jerome, or anyone else who may know! Just putting together and athearn SW1500 that I bought from Atlas a few years ago. Anyway, the parts envelope had two of the left side handrails (the one on either side of the back door). What is the approximate wire diameter of the stock athearn handrails? I am thinking of just bending my own. Or would I be better off contacting athearn for a replacement part? I do not need the entire handrail set, just one singular piece.

Thanks for any imput and keep up the good work, this is one of my favorite threads on this site!

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back