Jerome & Southwestern

OK- I am currently working on my first layout- Kwik and Easy from N Scale Model Railroading. This will give me experience with the basics. However, I would like to do something more ambitious after this one. Some years ago I saw a project in Model Railroader magazine from 1982 (I think) called the Jerome & Southwestern. It looked incredible and perhaps, if i can find more details on construction, I would like to model it-- only in N instead of HO. Has anyone here done that layout? Any pictures, source material, comments, etc? Much appreciated.

I really want my next project to have elevated track through mountains but it has to fit on a 4x8 platform, so perhaps there is a better track plan.

I love looking through the various posts on such a wide range of topics here on the forum.

Thanks for all so many of you do to make this such an incredible resource for us newbies!
Blessings,
Mike

If you can find one, Kalmbach did a book on this very RR. It was titled "Building an HO model railroad with personality" by John Olson. It takes you through all stages of construction.

Dan

The actual layout might still exist somewhere, as I think Kalmbach or perhaps John Olsen sold it off years ago, like some other of the 'project layouts' of "Model Railroader" from years ago. Just recently, the PRR Middle Division came up for sale on ebay. It had been expanded some, since its magazine days, and was featured in the magazine again, within the last 5 years or so. You might contact the magazine to see if they know its where abouts, or condition. Of course its HO, not N, but good luck!

I saw a project in Model Railroader magazine from 1982 (I think) called the Jerome & Southwestern. Any pictures, source material, comments, etc? Much appreciated.
If you can't find the book, you could just track down the issues of MR that had it in it. They are selling for cheap or even being given away at swap meets and shows. It started in February 1982. So if you got 1982 Feb, April, May, June, Aug, Oct, Nov, Dec and then 1983 Jan and Feb you would have the whole set.

I would say, snap up that $5.99 one real quick, even the next one above @ $67 is classed as used and the postage, being from Aussie is going to bring it up to the price that's being asked for the new one. Hit that BIN button smartly.

Mike:

The Jerome & Southwestern was an interesting project railroad built my John Olsen. If you can't find the Kalmbach book which featured the model railroad, the Model Railroader archives on the ModelRailroader.com site should have the issues of Model railroader featuring the railroad.

I was lucky to have visited Jerome, Arizona. No longer a mining town, but I sure got the feel of Jerome and part of its history while walking the streets of Jerome.

I did purchase a copy of the History of Jerome and found that the town actually burned several times. I do have a copy of the Kalmbach soft cover book about building the Jerome and Southwestern. It was hard to believe a town was constructed on a side of a mountain much less a railroad to serve the town and mine.

Google Jerome for information on this interesting town and its history.

Thanks.

Greg

Thanks Greg, Yes I did find the archives on MRR and plan to download them! I have been through Jerome also many years ago!! I did not realize taht was the same place for the railroad-- make it even more interesting!

Blessings, Mike

What was the fate of the original Jerome and Southwestern? I had an idea at one time to build a variant in On30, but have moved on to another project due to some moves and space limitations.

A couple of things to be aware of if you're going to try to build the Jerome & SOuthwestern.
1. the track plan, in order to save spave, used 18-22" radius curved switches. These are no longer made, and if you do find them used they will usually have brass rail.
2. The branchline on the track plan has an excessively steep grade, necessary to gain enough height to pass over the mainline in a short distance. This may cause operating problems for a novice not used to building transitions into the start of the upgrade. There is literally NO room for a transition on this layout.
3. this is a minor point for me as I am not afraid of wiring, but this plan contains a reverse loop that requires special wiring, whether DC or DCC.

If I may suggest an alternative, CHarlie COmstock started out with a somewhat similar plan called the Bear Creek & SOuth Jackson, which fits in the same 4x8 footprint but has lesser grades of around 3% that can be easily transitioned. The plan uses common Atlas track components you can get at any decent hobby shop, and has no reversing loops.He too alot of photos of the railroad, and you can see them here:

Back