JB Weld as a filler and strengthener

logandsawman

Tapping a hole in JB weld to repair a Locomotive truck, also applications to reinforce delicate parts that have a habit of falling off.

JB weld has the properties of very hard plastic and adheres to metal and plastic. Also, it has insulative properties and can protect wires when coated. It can be easily drilled.

[video=youtube;_NADHLlxhsk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NADHLlxhsk[/video]

Hope this helps someone on their model railroad projects, lasm

Very nice .. Clear and sharp picture.
A suggestion would be to place the camera facing you where the clear plastic box is located ....
Your hand is in the way for much of the video.

I noticed that, too, but thought the high points were discernable. If I have a chance to do another JB Weld project soon, I may video that one and delete this one because of this fault.

The high points were mainly that you could tap this (JB Weld) and fabricate plastic. Also, the consistency of the freshly mixed product.

Since the project got completed, it did not make sense to re do it. The short follow up video (to be posted tomorrow) I corrected this problem.

It was like live TV in that there were no edits.

THANK YOU for watching. lasm

I had a crack in my Honda Civic's radiator about 6 inches long. I fixed it with JB weld over two years ago and it is still holding. Surface prep is key.

I've used ProPoxy20 to add material to SD40-2 frames so I can move the trucks to the right wheelbase. It's another good tool to have in the kit.

Well done LASM!

Great demonstration of how to do the repair from beginning to end, very thorough!

One thing I would suggest is to focus additional light on your projects for people like me that don't see so good.

You are a credit to the hobby, it is very good of you to share this stuff. I am familiar with JB weld and similar products, but I suspect there are many others who are not. Even though I have used it I had not thought to use it to strengthen fragile parts or as an adhesive.

Thank you, keep up the good work. You could be the Bob Villa of model railroading.

Louis, Ken, Paul;

Thanks for all the input. I hope to make improvements on the videos as I make more. This is a great product (JB Weld) and when I started with the model railroad I realized soon how much it comes in handy.

Some of the other guys had similar stories when I wrote about it in my Alternative Materials thread.

In regular films they have producers, editors, technical staff. I don't want to sound like I am making excuses but I am more like your spaghetti western.

Thanks for watching--lasm

Back