It's cutting into my hobby budget!

pcarrell

Just a guy
I'm curious, how many of you out there have gone to the hobby shop and had to choose between an item for the layout, or the latest whatever magazine that has an interesting article or two in it that could prove helpful? I mean, lets face it, at almost $6 for one mag, and I may see two or three I'm interested in, it can cut into a tight hobby budget.

I know, if I had a subscription it would solve the problem, but I don't.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who stands in the hobby shop like me and makes these kinds of choices.

Fear not Philip, for you are not alone. I do the same thing but, limit myself to one magazine per month. I flip through to see what they are covering and see which one will be the largest benefit. I might even go with zero if I don't find anything of too much interest.

I find I rarely buy anything in print lately. The satisfaction factor is much greater with a particular part and it lasts much longer.

Good, so I'm not the only one standing there looking like a deer in the headlights!

Ken, you make a good point. And this forum helps too. I can get those questions asked right quick!

I spend a couple of hours in my nearby public library each month and save the money. If I find something I really like I make a copy of kust that article.
Doc

i usually end up buying the mags. I dont have a place for anything new equipment wise. If so then i'de be alot more poorer with alot more trains.

It's funny - I thought magazines were a dead art. Maybe hobby mags like this have the browse factor but man that's a lot of bucks for a magazine.

When I was doing the website and media for a local short track (stock cars), I often dealt with the editor of a well known Canadian racing publication. They are absolutely hurting for subscriptions since everyone gets the news fresh on the web - why buy the news a month (or more) old when you can get it for free on the web? I feel for the guy, he does awesome work.

Man how the world is changing.

Mark

I kicked the magazine habit a long time ago and for the most part I haven't looked back. When I did finally reconsider on one of the publications, I found it was no longer published. So, I get my reading done on the computer.

Alot of newspapers and magazines are offered online so there is no need to pay for hard copies anymore! And it saves you money in the long run !

i like magazines when im catching a flight or in the waiting room at the doctor's office. and eventually i will get a subscription to model railroader. i still enjoy print media. but in the i-age, so much is available online...well, lets just say when im in the hobby shop its never a matter of which magazine, more like do i get this rolling stock or do i get these buildings.

I'm curious, how many of you out there have gone to the hobby shop and had to choose between an item for the layout, or the latest whatever magazine that has an interesting article or two in it that could prove helpful?

I guess I have never had that problem. I had subscriptions for a while but let them lapse especially at the rate the magazines were going under. I just buy them OTC right now and I've never felt compelled to buy one in conflict with buying something else I needed. About the only time I felt the magazine price tag was when I had to do the picture on the cover / five copies for my mother bit a while back...

Andy

I usually find I get off cheaper if I buy the magazine than if I buy stuff for my layout...the most expensive magazine I get is $6, but one car will set me back at least $10. Unfortunately I've reached the point where "need" is no longer in my vocabulary. Thought about the subscription thing till I checked and discovered that the savings on the 2 magazines I buy the most was only about a nickel an issue....not like some magazines where if you buy more than 2 or 3 at newsstand price the subscription is cheaper.Definitely cheaper to do the pick and choose thing.

That's what happen to my son and me, I went in to a LHS that carried a little of everything! They had a Traxxas Rustler Demo(RC Stadium Truck), My son and I were hooked so we ordered two and then it Trains took a back seat to RC well we pour everything into them to see how fast we could get them! 50mph was achieve, Pic of my truck and my son and I showed up in a issue of Radio Controled Car Action! Now were back! We still run our truck just not as much not. Don't run one if the chance is given!:D these are pic's of my truck with two diffrent shells!

For the most part I really don't buy magazines anymore. I just got tired of reading about the same old people doing the same old stuff all the time. Nowadays I just search for whatever I'm interested in here on the internet.

Back