Is this a dumb idea

NYSW F45

Im almost at the point of painting my athearn bb sd40t-2 in NYS&W black and gold. However, most of the companies out there dont have a yellow that matches close. The only paint i have found and have used that matches nearly identicle is Tamiya camel yellow. But here lies the problem its only available in there spray cans and not there small bottles.

Now here is my question/idea. Is it possible to get a large jar and spray the contents of the spray can into the jar filling it up with the paint. Then when I use the yellow just thin it out properly. Can this be done?

Eeek. Might be possible, though it sounds really wasteful. Just spray the yellow straight from the can... If you're careful, spray light coats, and go slow, you'll be fine. I use spray cans all the time...

get yourself a can of wd-40 and use the tip and tube to
decant you spray can into a glass jar. i do it with my large airbrush jar
down the pickup tube no muss no fuss

I'd say go ahead and try bigford's idea, but first test the newly-bottled paint on an old junk BB shell to see how the plastic will react...

Josh, i'll try that again. I just feel it goes on to think no matter how slow I go.

Big, thats a neat idea.

Josh, i'll try that again. I just feel it goes on to think no matter how slow I go.

Big, thats a neat idea.

If you do spray it out of a can, warm it up first, this makes the paint go on in lighter coats.

spray some on a piece of paper and take it to home depot or a paint shop. They can match it very close if not right on with a good acrylic paint. The quantity is a bit high though. :D

The answer is Yes you can spray it into a jar and yes it will work.

Agreed. I did this with Testors Dullcote when I ran out of the bottled stuff and it worked fine. You also should not have to thin it, as it is already thinned to spray. Tamiya also should not bother plastic shells, as it is primarily used by military & car modelers. Not a bad idea to try on hidden area first though!

i've painted 2 models, 1 bb fp45 and kato sd80mac. But the details are kidden now hidden since I used the can. we'll see what happens.

Back