Is the paint no good?

fire28

Need some help here. :confused:

I bought a thing of Floquil D&H Grey paint for a project yesterday. I shook it by hand for a good 5-7min open it up and it looks "Fizzy" so i take a long skewer stick it in and theirs a mound of I'm guessing the pigment clumped in the jar. So i break it up stir it with the skewer put the lid on shake it again. Open it back up ad it still has a lot of air bubbles and when applied to a test subject its looks really thin and has a lot of bubbles in it.

Is the paint bad? Do I need to keep shaking it? I bought a different brand "Poly..... Paint" and it didn't have that problem when opened up and used.

Thanks.

stir it more with the little stick. It takes a while. It goes a little better when not super cold. The froth should settle down. Once homogeneous again, it will still need to be thinned to use it as a spraying paint. Try about 3/4 paint 1/4 thinner. 90% Isopropyl seems popular around here. I use ordinary paint thinner a lot.

I keep a jar of 'BB's in my paint drawer. Drop two in each bottle and shake it up that way, it will mix like a rattle can quickly.

I did that.... The UP Armor Yellow is still like painting with with the fizz from sodas. looks realllllly thin! I think I may toss it and buy a new bottle. I've had that one for a while..

Yellow is the hardest color to get to cover anything decently. It should be applied over a neutral primer, like tan or grey, in several light coats, to get good coverage. Floquil is an enamel, and must be thinned with a solvent based thinner, like lacquer thinner, or xylol.

Poly S is an acrylic, and needs to be thinned with the alcohol or water.

I've used the BB trick for many years, and it works quite well.

Trivial Knowledge:

The little rattling thing in a paint can is actually a glass marble. All of the marbles for all of the cans out there are all made at the same little marble factory in southern Ohio. It's the only marble maker to really survive and thrive since they figured out years ago that little kids would rather play with trains than with marbles. Really nice woman that runs it.

I would think that if you wanted to brush paint on you would prefer testors enamels although the colors aren't exactly subtle. Is it possible your paint froze at any point?

It just needs a lot of stirring (not shaking). I use Floquil paints I've have for over 10 years and they're still good.
If after stirring a while and the paint is fairly thick add a little bit of Floquil thinner then stir some more. For thinning I always use Floquil thinner (never really use much so the cost isn't high) and use the harware store thinner for brush and airbrush cleaning.

It's probably intended more for airbrushing than brush painting. Airbrushing the paint must be very thin, like water.

Brush painting will be very difficult to get a nice even coat of paint.

Back