Is the Digitrax Zephyr a good first DCC controller?

The Zephyr is an easy system to use as long as you don't expect it to 'do everything' for you. I enjoy using mine. The controls are easy to figure out and programming is easy. I like being able to program locos on the program track while I have trains running on the layout.

You might wanna look at the zephyr extra too, it has a bigger amperage limit and more slot for locos, plus some extra function button

I plan to UPGRADE to a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra {correct spelling} wen I upgrade. It has 3 amps for running locos, which is up from the plain Zephyr which I think is only 2 amps.

the price difference in the 2 is rather minute as well.

As you will see here, those who have a particular brand of controller seem to have strong opinions about their system. I never used a Digitrax, I went with the NCE power cab and am very happy. Last nite I tried my hand at consisting 2 engines. I had no idea what to do but I followed the prompts on the controller cab and was able to do it without reading the instructions. To me this is a great feature. I have no local club nearby so there is no one I can ask foru pointers.

Good features about the digitrax and NCE systems is that as your layout/needs grow you can easily add to them without buying a new system. Best of luck in your decision making.
-Art

Both the powerCAB and zephyr are priced fairly similar and offer almost the same feature.

Major difference are that the zephyr remain stationary while the powercab is a wired walkaround throttle. The powercab cannot run DC locomotive, they all need to have a decoder, while the zephyr can. The zephyr have more line of text on his lcd screen, but it might be a problem if you have sight problem.

Newbe question.

What is a program track and how is it conencted to a Command Station and/or booster? Is the program track a special conenction coming off of one of these items?

the program track is the place where you can change the address on any decoder. basically its a piece of track where there is only data travelling throught the rails. A locomotive cannot move on this track. it is userfull for programming a single loco. For exemple if i got in programming mode on the mainline, and I send a command to reprogram the address to 2222, all the locomotive on the track will be reprogrammed to this address. By having a separate program track, i can make sure i will never program any other loco by mistake. The program track is connected by a separate port on the back of the zephyr.

Back