Is it really worth it to save a minute! Stupid driver

WOW, just missed that car by inches. I think that's about the closest I've seen too.
If the train had hit that car it would probably been in your lap.

I was thinking the same, i saw him coming and thought for sure he was going to get hit, i was already on the move to get clear to a safer spot behind the building.

i thought the parked car was going to decide to go through at the last minute, then the other came out of nowhere..that was insane.

You guys would just shake your head if you knew how common this is. Sometimes on a 160 mile round trip this happens more then a dozen times to the same crew during their day and sometimes you hit the car. First thing they tell you in Engineer school is you never dump a train until after you hit something not before as the risk is to high to put the train in emergancy so its just something you get use to and it becomes part of the job.

You guys would just shake your head if you knew how common this is. Sometimes on a 160 mile round trip this happens more then a dozen times to the same crew during their day and sometimes you hit the car. First thing they tell you in Engineer school is you never dump a train until after you hit something not before as the risk is to high to put the train in emergancy so its just something you get use to and it becomes part of the job.

What is dump a train? I'm sure there are a tin of stories about the idiots out there that think they are faster then a train.

Dave

Dump the air - otherwise known as going into emergency by opening the valve that rapidly depressurizes the brake system, causing all the brakes to lock to the wheels.

Jesus. How stupid do people really have to be now days? I was actually rooting for the train to hit the jackass as I always do in these circumstances. This may sound harsh but when someone tries to run a crossing and is killed. I have no remorse and dont feel sorry for them one bit. Its the lives that are taken from the collateral damage thats the tragedy.

That was one close call! I hit the play button several times, replaying it and could stop the frame as the cars tail end just cleared the tracks and probably only a couple of tenths of a second elapsed before the Loco would have hit the guy/woman and I don't think the Snowplow on the front of the Loco could have been more than a couple of feet away at the most!

That's what you call Death Wish Three alright!!

there has been a few times in standard cab locos( sd-40-2, sd-50's) that I have had to stand up out of my seat because I can't see the car I dont know how we didn't make contact!

there has been a few times in standard cab locos( sd-40-2, sd-50's) that I have had to stand up out of my seat because I can't see the car I dont know how we didn't make contact!

Done that once with some guy on a bicycle in an SD70. I assumed we hit him untill i caught a glimpse of him riding away on the engineer's side. I don't think he even noticed the big yellow loco blasting the horn, with the ditch lights so close he had to feel the heat off them. But he never changed his pace. Wonder if he even knows how lucky he was. If we ever found him, he should be billed for two pairs of pants and shorts...

I was at a crossing not too long ago when a big Osh Kosh front loading cement mixer come up the other side of the crossing went around the gate and MISSED getting clobbered by a couple of SD units by about a foot!!!:eek::eek::mad::mad:

I saw the name of the company and the truck number and phoned it into the company---the company has a sign on all their trucks telling people that if they see one of their drivers doing something reckless to report that. So I did. Buddy is now looking for another job---:cool::rolleyes:

Back