Iowa State Railroad Club

clyde

I'm about the only one in the club this semester just because one member graduated, two are taking the semester off because they have co-op opportunities, and another has to take off a semester because of financial reasons. This is the progress I've made on our layout the past week laying cork and track.

Welcome to the Forums, Clyde. Is this an all new layout or just a new section? Got any more pictures or a track plan? I guess if nothing gets done we know who to blame!:p

Thank you and it is new. They had another one a few years back but this last spring we were given a permanent room so it was decided to build a larger layout. I'll get some more pictures this week while I'm out there. The only track plan is a rough draft on a chalk board but I'll scribble a revised one down. It's been a go with flow kind of deal, that's what you get from engineering students :D

I'm stuck at least for this semester, Iowa State had a clubfest a few weeks ago but I wasn't able to be there for most of it. Hopefully somebody will jump on board but if not I got three more years to find at least one person. I'm hoping to at least get a section done by May, except the small details, to help recruit. A lot of people have interest but aren't real excited about how far along the layout is.

Say, I was real close to going to Iowa state. I went there all the way from Georgia to interview for an army rotc scholarship and received said scholarship. I found out the school had a railroad club and I thought I was sold but I made the last minute decision to stay in Georgia... What was I thinking?

Good to see that the club is at least still alive. I'm sure yall will pick up new members. Good luck on the layout!

Robert

A lot of people have interest but aren't real excited about how far along the layout is.

Well, you gotta start somewhere dont you? I personally would love to join a train club from the get go or early on in the construction stages, that way when the layout has progressed some and one day is complete, I would feel that I was a significant part to helping building the layout and the club! :D

Its looking like your off to a great start Clyde! I hope you are able to find some new members to help you out, and keep up the good work!

Thank you everybody. I'll be out there tomorrow so I'll get some more pictures and more work done.

Best of luck to you there in Iowa. I'm in the club at MIT in Cambridge MA, and I have to say, we'd love to see a few more enthusiastic students walk through the door (I'm an alumnus from class of, uh, let's skip it). There are just so many other things for students to do than there used to be, a lot of the new stuff being Internet-related. Model railroading is a pretty old-fashioned hobby, it seems.

On the web at http://tmrc.mit.edu/ (Check out the Progress page).

And you can like us using that new-fangled nonsense Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tech-Model-Railroad-Club-of-MIT/133463533411082

I considered Iowa St. too, but stayed at NJIT. Back in the 1980's there were about 3 full time members of the club. The professor had a timesaver layout, that we'd fool around with, each week.

Sorry everyone, I forgot to get pictures last night but I got some today plus to say I'm sorry I took some pictures of a few of the club's locomotives too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The finished piece above is a module that was donated by a member of a club that dissolved. Sadly non of the warbonnets are powered. I've always liked how the BN F units looked so I might have to buy a locomotive for the club and inherit that one :D

Back