Intermountain HO scale CNR SD40-2w

iomalley

Barely-employed Brakeman
Here's pre-production pics of Intermountain's HO scale CNR SD40-2w:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56907

:mad::mad:brutal! porthole windows, RPP quality tooling, sloping nose, looks like the N scale one blown up to HO...

All I can say is...
633317514784490542.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They do look bad, but they are only pre-production samples, so hopefully they will be improved before production starts.

Intermountain does make nice F units so maybe there's hope. The fact they have so many misses on the pre-production units doesn't bode well for the production units though.

I should have looked at it closer when I was there. A damn shame they have botched it so far... I was really looking forward to this model... :(

-Steve

No surprise when you think about it: To have a prototype correct model of a Canadian loco, asked a Canadian co. to make it. No offence to anyone , just stating the obvious. Raylflyer, Rapido, TLT, Sylvan, Kaslo, Trains Canada etc.
have proven this to be true.

Intermountain F loco are not bad, but again innacurate for VIA Rail and CN.

MLW, I really think you're right about Canadian companies and Canadian models. Between the CN and CP, there are more model variations than I think exist on all the US railroads. I think looking at the real thing every day gives you a "feel" of what looks right when you design a model. Looking at photos or even builder's erection sheets just doesn't do the same thing.

Looking at photos or even builder's erection sheets just doesn't do the same thing.

Well therein lays the problem, on the Atlas GP40-2w and IM SD40-2w project, neither manufacturer looked at GMDD plans for the cab. The cab is identical on CN GP38-2ws, CN/GO GP40-2ws (LWs), and CN SD40-2ws, there was no production change to alter any dimension in/on the cab thru the duration of production. (dont confuse this cab with MLW M420s or GMDD SD50s/60s or CP redbarns or F59phs...those cabs are different)

Why did Canadian Prototype Replicas, a fledgling basement company from Breslau Ontario, get the cab dimensions perfect in 1983 when they produced their one-piece cab in styrene? (back when the cab didn't fit anything but the Altas/Roco GP40)

IM/Atlas would have been further ahead to 'copy' the Prototype Replica or Railflyer cab than to rely on some hack using a tape measure or 'eyeball' the model. Here's a list of the cab manufacturers and the problems with them:

Railflyer - perfect, albeit earlier releases have incorrect radius on windshield rubber
Canadian Prototype Replica (CPRep)- dimensionally perfect, slider windows are incorrect (but error hidden by sunshades)
H&D - resin copy of CPRep cab
Kaslo - resin cab, front windows too small. has interior tho.
Details assoc - nose too low, requires assembly.
Pacific Pike (brass) - nose too low, roof angle wrong.
Atlas - nose too long
Intermountain (pre-production) - nose too long, nose top slope, 'porthole' type front windows, RPP-like rough casting...just bad

Last edited by a moderator:
We just had an Intermountain and an Atlas right beside each other. The only real difference is that the cab on the Atlas is 3/32 shorter than the IM. Yes they are different tooling, and yes they should be the same, and neither mfgr likely spent a lot of time looking at the plans, but they are close.

I'd venture to say that anybody who wants to count rivets that close will be ordering a specific road number kit from Chris anyway. 9 out of 10 people probably couldn't tell which cab is closer. I think that they both look pretty good, and living 10 blocks from the Walker Yards, I can say I have a few pictures to compare them to.

Cheers
Gary

What great detailing Railflyer had on their units!!! What happened to them, did they go out of business?? Their website is not available anymore...

Hello.

Railflyer is still in business...his website has moved, but he's still making and selling his parts. The website is available at www.railflyermodel.com

He's got a 24 sale on right now, where if you type in 24 where it asks for a code, you get 24 percent off your purchase price. Not bad.

Timothy Dineen

Back