Intermountain es44dc question.

wjacob

I'm looking at purchasing a new locomotive but I have one huge question about it. Is it dcc ready? Here is the info for it.

Intermountain HO 49728-03 GE ES44DC, Norfolk Southern (Primer Gray) #7530
It's for sale at modeltrainstuff.com

In the description it says nothing about being dc only or dcc 8 pin ready. I really don't need sound but I absolutely need it to be able to run dcc. The dcc and sound model is almost 100 more.

Thanks for the help.

Hi

I don't have the information you are requesting but here is the contact information for model train stuff/MB Klein. They are my local train shop and they are always glad to help.

Model Train Stuff / M.B. Klein Contact Information; Telephone:

During our regular business hours, you can also reach us via telephone to inquire about products or to place an order. Please don't hesitate to call us! Our local and toll-free numbers are listed below.
If you are directed to our voice mail, it is because all Customer Service / Support Representatives are assisting other customers. Please leave a voice mail message with your name, phone number and a brief message and we will return your call. Thank You.

• [*](410)-229-9995
    [*]1-888-410-2672

I purchased 2 of the BNSF ones and they have DCC. The NS one is listed along with those in their catalog. From the Intermountain site "[FONT=&quot]All InterMountain HO locomotives shipped from InterMountain after January 2011 are DCC equipped from the factory[/FONT]"

Brendan

they are all dcc. you can choose with or without sound, and i think that they are dual mode, so you can use them on dc track. as far as what i have read, anyway.

Thank you much for the info. I'll be buying it tomorrow.

Side note it's nice that a company is making locomotives standard with dcc. I have mostly athearn stuff so it'll be good to see what other companies have as far as ho locomotives.

Mine runs smoothly and quietly.

Thank you much for the info. I'll be buying it tomorrow.

Side note it's nice that a company is making locomotives standard with dcc. I have mostly athearn stuff so it'll be good to see what other companies have as far as ho locomotives.

I am sure it is an expense driven decision. If most locos sold were DCC, they probably would default to including it.

Brendan.

Heck, for the $89.99 they are asking, that's 50% off, you could get it and put your own decoder in it and still be ahead.

G'day ...I own three Intermountain ES 44 ACs....all run beaut and I'm pretty sure they're all 8 pin DCC Ready ,unless the are factory loaded with Tsunami..I'm pretty certain Intermountain don't do DC only locos..if they do I've never seen them listed in the Intermountain Railway Club..IRC...you can join on line...Louis is right ...just contact MB Klien and they'll tell you anyway...Intermountain stuff is terrific by the way...Cheers Rod..

G'day ...I own three Intermountain ES 44 ACs....all run beaut and I'm pretty sure they're all 8 pin DCC Ready ,unless the are factory loaded with Tsunami..I'm pretty certain Intermountain don't do DC only locos..if they do I've never seen them listed in the Intermountain Railway Club..IRC...you can join on line...Louis is right ...just contact MB Klien and they'll tell you anyway...Intermountain stuff is terrific by the way...Cheers Rod..

Hi Rod, those locos are DCC ready as in they already have a decoder. I'm talking about the non sound version. Can't get more DCC ready than that :p.

OK, a fellow had one of those locos down at the club the other day. It was comparable in powe to the large Kato Diesels. The detail was top notch. Nice loco all round. For the OP 90 bucks for that NS grey ghost sounds like a steal.

I am considering aquiring an Intermountain GP10 after close examination of the GE ES44 AC.

Intermountain real good..

G'day again....All three of my ES44ACs are DCC/Sound with Tsunami....I have about 50 altogether...of which 11 are sound..My ES44Ac 's are all Intermountain but I also have an Atlas 8-40CW , an Athearn 9-44C , two Broadway Limited SD40-2s , and three Athearn Genesis SD70 ACe's and an MTH SD70 ACe..also an other DCC Ready Athearn SD70 ACe...Don't hesitate buying an Intermountain..either DCC ready or DCC equipped ...the detail is great , lighting is really good and Tsunami sound fine too...The BLi's are good too but they're Paragon 2 Sound....I also have 3-4 others I'm going to fit decoders and/or sound too as I go and slowly get rid of some of my old Analog locos..Eventually I want to have maybe 25 locomotives but 25 pretty much exactly how I want them...How I finished up with so many analog ones I'll never know.. With the Intermountain ES44s I paid $259 each for them for the first two..and the third one was sale price $229..really good value...whereas the AGs were all about $300 apiece for sound and DCC ready was $205...all bought here in Australia...I saw some Athearn RTR ones for $149 here recently ..Add a really good MRC decoder for about $75..and $224-225 gets you a good set up... Easy 8 pin plug in jobs too..
Lots of options for you to consider...But Intermountain DCC Ready or fitted are good stuff... Cheers Rod...

It's being shipped today. I can't wait. Looking at the pictures they are so much better than the athearn models. I have an athearn ns heritage prr. Looking at the detail of the intermountain ones I may be swapping the athearn out. I'm really excited to get the grey ghost.

Got it today. It is freaking nice. Detail is way better than even a genesis model. I think I'll be adding many more to the fleet .

Glad you're happy..

G'day Glad you got the new Intermountain....Good aren't they....Just be careful from first hand experience that you run it in as they suggest..It'll make it even better....The only thing wrong with Intermountain is they don't have much yet for SD70 era locos...Most are GE ones..but they do an awesome EMD SD40-2 though. Good reviews I believe..I do still like Athearn Genesis but I'll always consider Intermountain whenever possible..Enjoy the loco..The first of a few I hope.Cheers Rod..
Got it today. It is freaking nice. Detail is way better than even a genesis model. I think I'll be adding many more to the fleet .

G'day ....Just the standard way...Start them off at crawling speed forward for 10 minutes , then reverse for 10 minutes..Then increase the speed in both directions for a few minutes , then again increase speed a little more in both directions for a few minutes until it's running pretty quickly...might take an hour or two but its worth doing and you won't find a variation with forward/reverse speeds and increases longevity to the drivetrain and motor....Cheers Rod....

Back