Intermodal Trivia

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
Some folks may be wondering what the Model Intermodal group on Yahoo is all about. Usually in the context of asking some question about stack trains and TOFC. This post showed up yesterday:

-----

Okay, here's your trivia question regarding TTX Gunderson Twin Stacks:

As some may know, some of TTX's DTTX 63000-63342 series Gunderson 5-unit Twin Stack well cars (car classes GWG50 through GWG50J) have load restrictions with regard to 20-foot containers in the bottom position of some of the car's units and some don't.

Many of these cars have no load restrictions at all and 20-foot containers may be loaded in the bottom position of all five (5) units (A-E-D-C-B). A number of car classes don't allow for loading containers in the bottom position of the middle three (3) units (E-D-C).

There is only one (1) car class that does NOT allow 20-foot containers in the bottom position of the two (2) end units (A-B), but DOES allow 20-foot containers in the bottom position of the middle three (3) units (E-D-C). What is that TTX car class?

If you don't know the TTX car class, the correct DTTX car number series will suffice.

. . . (cue the Final Jeopardy theme music) . . .

If no one gets the answer, I will post it tomorrow.

There is no prize for the winner, except the undying gratitude of the intermodal masses and the self-satisfaction of knowing that you're properly geeked up about intermodal. :)

-----

Yes, there is a real answer....

:D

Kennedy

I have no idea Kennedy. I love intermodal, but not that much I guess :)

Here's a question you may be able to help me with though. Who got the old maersk maxi I cars? I know some got stenciled for BNSF and some for SP, did anyone else get any of them?

OK, the answer is:

The one (1) DTTX Gunderson 5-unit Twin Stack well cars car class that does NOT allow 20-foot containers in the bottom position of the two (2) end units (A-B), but DOES allow 20-foot containers in the bottom position of the middle three (3) units (E-D-C) is indeed the GWG50D class.

The GWG50D class is DTTX 63179-63198.

-----

Somebody did ask why this is, but no reply has been posted yet.

:D

Kennedy

Back