Intermodal questions

Two questions for the experts....

Has anyone ever use the card kits you can buy to make intermodal shipping containers? If so how do you rate them, would you recommend them or just go with the plastic shipping containers?

What do you use to keep the double stack shipping containers secure on top of each other on trains. Surely one doesn't rely on those tiny plastic pins.

Thanks
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I downloaded and printed out a few of them. They have great printed detail but just don't cut it for loading onto the rolling stock. They are to lite and don't connect to each other unless ya use double sided tape. The card stock doesn't fold to make a sharp edge/corner so the sides, top and bottom are a bit bowed. I haven't tried this, but I would think that gluing them to a block of wood that is cut to the right size might alleviate those problem.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll just continue to get the plastic containers. Sound like the cards are more trouble than they're worth.

Thanks again

The typical thing people do with those printed kits is as stated, glue them to a supporting structure. Either styrene or wood.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

I made my own 'card stock' containers by scanning all sides of my weathered plastic containers. I glued them to a foam board base to give them strength and help maintain their shape. I only use them as part of the backdrop though, as they just don't look as good as the 'real' plastic ones for running in well cars.

As for stacking them, as long as they are the same manufacturer, the plastic pins work fine. The issues arise when you stack containers from different manufactures that use different pin shapes/sizes or put the pins on the top instead of the bottom.

Rare earth magnets would even pull through two layers of plastic. They sell all kinds of tiny ones on eBay. Glue magnets on the top and bottom of the inside of the containers with the positive poles up on all of them. Problem solved.

Great ideas everyone, thanks for all the feedback. I'll play around with them this weekend.

After all I am redoing one end of my layout to get better turn radius on some tracks for intermodal cars so I will invest heavy in them on my layout..... Not to mention a good percent of freight in SOCAL is intermodal coming and going.

Thanks again.
Steve

If you use magnets, I'd recommend a magnet on the top or bottom and a metal plate on the other. If you use two magnets, you'll have to make sure they line up perfectly, or the containers may not stack properly as two magnets will try to align them selves together. One magnet will just stick to the metal plate where ever you position it.

I have sold all my plastic containers and gone to all Digcom containers. I am a huge fan. To get good results, you have to do a few things...

1. You must have good quality photo paper to print the PDFs. I use Canon MP-101 Matte Photo Paper 8.5x11, 50 sheets, 45lbs (170g/m2), cost $12. This paper gives the finished container some bulk and substance, but of course a high quality surface on which to print the file.

2. You need to have adequate and quality ink for your printer. I get 3 cartridges (black, cyan, and red) off eBay for $22 and free shipping. Buyer beware on that; know your printer and trust the seller.

3.You have to cut them out carefully, fold, and glue them properly. Don't expect your first one to turn out as well as your subsequent ones.

4. It helps a great deal if your rolling stock is itself somewhat heavy and rolls well. I have Kato, intermountain, and walthers 53' well cars that have good weight to them. If your cars don't track well around curves when empty, or require added weight, then you probably will have to add weight to your containers.

5. I glue my finished containers together for fixed double stack containers. I just apply a thin bed of white glue between then and put a freight car on top of it while at dries so that it dries in place level.

This is just my opinion, but I think plastic containers are the biggest ripoff in the hobby. No way I'm going to pay $35-42 for a 3 container set. Yes, you can find them 2nd hand for $5-8, but it's still a rip off IMHO. Not when for $5.95 for the PDF + $12 photo paper + $22 ink = $39.95 for all the containers your little hands can fold. To change or add another scheme is $5.95.

Brad

For someone who has a mix of plastic containers, and isn't planning on constantly changing them from car to car, why not add some weight to the bottom container and then glue another one on top of it? This make one unit of two containers.

The idea can be adapted to paper sides, too. I'd suggest some sort of support structure for the paper ones, and Elmer's glue to keep them together.

Photoman475
Proprietor of the Bankrupt Lines, America's only true transcontinental railroad!

G'day Steve ,....From personal experience....run for the hills with the card kit containers..as a backdrop scene prop , maybe ..but for forefront stuff in an intermodal yard , they're basically useless.without fiddley kitbashing .Added to the fact they take a fair bit of practice to glue and cut properly , your money is better spent buying the proper Walthers containers..
Re the pins ..I've never had much trouble with mine..but a littlle dob of Blutack..on each end flattened right down helps too..for the cheaper brand containers...Cheers Rod

Thanks Rod for sharing your experience with them, sounds like the plastic ones are the way to go! I may try some cards for backdrops etc.

Thanks again
Steve

Back