Interesting idea for a Computer program?

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
I was toying with an idea last night. Originally I planned to use car cards, or something to the effect, to know when my units need to some in for a 92 day inspection (and I plan to actually inspect them for damage).

I'm wondering if there's someone out there with Visual Basic skills, that could maybe make a program to do this for you? What I'm thinking is needed:
  • 92 (or other settings depending on what you want I guess) day cycle
  • 10 day early warning, Date Due "pop-up", 10 day late (shut down and DIT return..)
  • Way to tell the program the unit completed its inspection (needed in case it happens early or late, the cycle can be re-set)
  • Random set-up feature, enter all locomotives, and then it'll set up the locomotives to be checked randomly in the selected cycle range (I.E. 20 locomotives, initial set-up to be distributed within 92 days, so not all are at once)
  • Ability to add more locomotives, option to start cycle when added or randomly throw it in the range.
  • Ability to retire locomotives
  • Option for random "major" failures (I say option, because some people might not want it [I don't])

For the locomotive info, it can be basic:
  • Road Number
  • Railroad
  • Unit type
  • Maintenance cycle (92, 102, 120, ect?)

Whats that thing Rex has got for the PC (not Carey) the program that tells him what goes were and so on, can it not be set up to do what you want,,, over to you Rex

Hmm, I don't do VB, however I could whip up a web based solution which would e-mail you a notice. Probably take a day to write, and be usable from any internet connected pc.

I might be able to do it in Visual C++, which is supposed to be better to work with, though I'd have to take a look once school's out. The random features I know I could do, and I could probably start it on a random day. The actual time part would be a little difficult, though I'll have to ask my CS teacher, since I need to know how to integrate time for my weather simulation program anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do a lot in VB6 and yeah, it is doable but it would take a fair bit to put together. Now that said I don't have any experience in the database capabilities so there may be easier solutions than the ones I'm thinking of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even something like Access would work and make the database work easier.

First thing that came to mind is the Quartermaster program we have at work - books equipment in and out, bar codes, schedules service...

What

PHP or ASP would work. I guess an email based system might work, though prefer it to be based on the computer.

C++ will work too. Access, maybe, but heck if I'm paying Microsoft $100+ for stuff I don't need, and yet have to build it myself. I tried to set something up through Open Office, but I cannot figure it out.

Stand alone preferred however. I'd like it, so that when my Dispatcher logs in, the computer would say "such & such due for inspection"... Though an email based system could do the same, just use a email address on my server specifically for that.

I think it could be done in Excel using VBA and pivot tables. It's been a few years since I've done heavy duty Excel work but you'd be amazed at what can be done with that program.

Train program

Well Josh,
My other hobby besides trains and golf is computer programming. I wrote a few baseball and golf league type programs using Turbo Pascal. I wouldn't be doing it during golf season so if no one does it for you by then I'll try to get it done this winter. Just about anything could be done, multiple indexes and tables, by number, year, inspection date. Make a list of every thing you need it to do and I'll start setting up the indexes and write the code later.

NYC_George

I was looking thru Walter's cataloge and found software that will do this for you.
The software is called Service Tracker key functions are maintenacne, service, and testing schedules. Also does inventory control, advanced reporting and image storage. The program is compatible with MS Windows XP and Vista.
29.95 plus shipping

I might order one to check it out I can write it off as a bussiness expence.

I was toying with an idea last night. Originally I planned to use car cards, or something to the effect, to know when my units need to some in for a 92 day inspection (and I plan to actually inspect them for damage).

I'm wondering if there's someone out there with Visual Basic skills, that could maybe make a program to do this for you? What I'm thinking is needed:
  • 92 (or other settings depending on what you want I guess) day cycle
  • 10 day early warning, Date Due "pop-up", 10 day late (shut down and DIT return..)
  • Way to tell the program the unit completed its inspection (needed in case it happens early or late, the cycle can be re-set)
  • Random set-up feature, enter all locomotives, and then it'll set up the locomotives to be checked randomly in the selected cycle range (I.E. 20 locomotives, initial set-up to be distributed within 92 days, so not all are at once)
  • Ability to add more locomotives, option to start cycle when added or randomly throw it in the range.
  • Ability to retire locomotives
  • Option for random "major" failures (I say option, because some people might not want it [I don't])

For the locomotive info, it can be basic:
  • Road Number
  • Railroad
  • Unit type
  • Maintenance cycle (92, 102, 120, ect?)

Maybe Yoc can do this???? He is a programmer.....

I downloaded the trial version of Service Tracker, seems like it might be the key. I'll see how Yoc's MRRS site works before I spend any money.

Back