Installing Tortoise switch machines

Hi everyone! New to this group and this is my first post.

Here's my question:

Many of you have experience wiring Tortoise switch machines. I'll need to get some of the .25" spring wire they recommend for installing through substances thicker than 1" under the track . Is that what it's actually called? Where can you get it (short of ordering it)? is this something you can get at Home Depot or an electrical supply store?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan! Welcome to the forum!

The spring wire, also known as Piano Wire, can be found at most Local Hobby Shops. I would doubt you will find it at Home Cheapo.

Piano wire it is. If you don't have a local hobby shop, you can also find it at craft stores like Michaels. Looks in the bead section.

Re: Hooking up Tortoise switch machines

Ray and Jim,
Thanks for the feedback. Our local hobby shop caters heavily towards remote control airplanes and cars - not so much towards trains, so, maybe they'll have what I need but I'm somewhat doubtful. We just had a Michaels open up here so thanks for the lead on them.
Dan

Dan, RC aircraft use piano wire for controls so I suspect you won't have a problem finding what you need there.

Re Tortoise switch machine wire

Jim - Thanks for the tip about control wire.
Just got back from the craft store - they had something called "memory wire". No size designation, just weight by package. The largest diameter available seems to be pretty close to the wire supplied with the machines. Think it'll do the trick?
Dan

Dan, memory wire is just a fancy name for piano wire. The key characteristic is that the wire can flex but won't develop a permanant bend. It should work fine for your Torti.

Hi everyone! New to this group and this is my first post.

Here's my question:

Many of you have experience wiring Tortoise switch machines. I'll need to get some of the .25" spring wire they recommend for installing through substances thicker than 1" under the track . Is that what it's actually called? Where can you get it (short of ordering it)? is this something you can get at Home Depot or an electrical supply store?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan, I think it's .025. .25 is 1/4". If your LHS doesn't have it Michaels, Pat Catans or Hobby Lobby for sure.
Wayne

Back