In the Planning Stage.

doug1980

N Scale
Ok so I'm ready to start laying out my plan. However the only foam board I can find is the blue stuff. Where can i find the 2" pink stuff that you all use? Also I would love to post a picture of my design however the program I was going to use is proving challenging. So I drew it up "old School" using the block technique, now I just need to scan it and post it.

well here in kentucky home depot has the pink foam and lowes has the blue foam which are the same thing diffrent brands. Here you can only buy 1 inch thick, i guess since it never gets to cold they dont think alot of people will buy 2 inch.

well here in kentucky home depot has the pink foam and lowes has the blue foam which are the same thing diffrent brands. Here you can only buy 1 inch thick, i guess since it never gets to cold they dont think alot of people will buy 2 inch.

Maybe that's the problem here then. Of course it gets pretty cold up here. I thought the pink was a little less dense as well.

Could you not just cut the blue stuff and stack it as you need it? It is what I did for my first layout. It meant a bit more work, but only perhaps another couple of hours, maybe four in all?

-Crandell

I've used the Pink, Blue & Green & it's all the same. Like Mike said, just different brands.
You can cut it w/a knife, bandsaw, sabersaw or a handsaw. I glue mine w/elmers white glue. Elmers takes longer to dry than a hot melt glue gun. Don't use any plastic glues or liquid nails because it melts the foam. Most wholesale building supply companies handle the diff. kinds if you can't find it retail. I got mine for free at a bldg. site. About a semi trailer load.

Larry

Yeah I used the blue on my last one as well. Wasn't sure if the other ones were different or not. Thought with the pink would be easier to paint, less coats to cover it. Plus at 2" think would be less work but gotta use what you got.

At least at my Home Depot, the one inch was pink and the two inch was blue. No difference in the product, jsut the height. If you can find 2", it's easy to use latex caulk and laminate as many sheets together as you want to get the height you need.

Back