In-ko-pah Railroad: 1/24th scale bakery finished!

Hi! It's been a long time since I've visited this forum. I've had a lot less time to spend online lately. (Less modeling time too.) Anyway, I'd like to share my latest creation...

In October 2009 I added the third building to town of Dos Manos on my 1/24th scale In-ko-pah Railroad. However, it was unfinished -- there were no signs or interior details. At first I had planned to make it a dress shop, but couldn't work up any enthusiasm for modeling the details.

Eventually I decided to turn it into a bakery, with an upstairs residence. At long last, it's finally finished:

IMG_2668.jpg

This area seemed to need something extra, and a swamp cooler was just the ticket! I scratch-built it from stryene. The vents are actually made of small scale clapboard siding. I'm not sure if it's HO or N scale, but the spacing is .030". Then I added strips of .010" thick styrene. The wooden support platform is also made from styrene, textured and painted to look like old wood. I also repainted to corrugated metal roof, giving it a coat of white paint with a little rust showing through. I wimped out on the upstairs residence interior -- there are only a few simple details inside, with dim lights and lace curtains hiding most of the interior.

IMG_2682.jpg

The bakery interior is fully detailed and lighted:

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

If you look closely, you can see pink pastry boxes on the shelves. The small, highly detailed cakes in the window were purchased from a doll house supplier, but the large cake and everything else was scratch-built.

IMG_2726.jpg

There are loaves of bread wrapped in cellophane on the shelves here. The one small, highly detailed cake in the window is from a doll house supplier, but bread rolls and large cakes were scratch-built.

IMG_2729.jpg

The bakery is named Cora's Cakes, after one of our grand-daughters.

IMG_2710.jpg

The door to the upstairs residence is at the side, between the bakery and the rock shop.

IMG_2745.jpg

Also, I paved the road in front of the buildings:

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

And I've created a new improved webpage for my Dos Manos buildings. There's a photo of the town, and you can click on each building in the photo to see detailed reports of how the buildings were constructed plus additional photos of the completed structure:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Dos_Manos.html

Enjoy!

Very nice work Ray,
Your attention to detail is fantastic, very realistic...that shot of the private entrance door at night is hard to tell it's a model.

Thanks! Modeling in large scale is fun. Figuring out how to make it last outdoors is a bit challenging though. But since I have absolutely no room indoors, I make do.

Look at it this way... it's "Self Weathering"!!! :D

Great model!

I can still see 1/24 scale! LOL

Sort of. :rolleyes:

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:

Back