im new here

I did see quite a good vid on fitting a Tsunami to a similar Athearn on YouTube. The later RTR and Tsunami fitted Genesis locos have a plastic board/decoder mount that fits over the motor and takes either, so retrofitting one of those RTR's with a Tsunami is very easy. The earlier RTR's, you just stick it on top of the motor with double sided tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
no worries mates i wont go sound dont like it all i want to do is be able to make the locomotive go frontwards and backwards

playing with a new camera IMG_0093.jpgIMG_0096.jpgIMG_0100.jpgIMG_0107.jpg

G'day Jody....Cool pictures...The locos look awesome...Can I add another 2 cents worth re sound...IF you see an occasional great price on a sound decoder..Think about it..I was the same..my first few DCC conversions were non sound...Then I bought an Atlas 8-40 CW...with sound and I've been hooked ever since...all my 'fancy' locos have sound except one Athearn Genesis SD70 ACe...brand new $189 without sound...The thing is you can switch the sound off any time by muting it..What puts many off is the extra cost...I priced an ESU Lok Sound decoder 18 months or so ago that went for $139...ended up waiting and getting a Digitrax one for $69...A few weeks later they were going for $59..A reasonable 4 function decoder is $30-40 mostly so I thought , wait til the soundies are on special and buy..I fully understand if you don't want to do sound though but for me non sound doesn't quite tick all the boxes...That little Atlas changed it for me.Must post a picture of my 'roster' soon...Cheers Rod..

Last edited by a moderator:
There'ya, you got a layout already (with built in background scenery too). Just bore some holes through the posts for tunnels and expand the run, no problem :rolleyes::cool:

Those NCE D13SRJ decoders are a stand alone decoder as well. In other words you can do away with the existing light board and hard wire them in place, they come with a color coded wiring loom. Ideal for DCC'ing an older "Blue Box" or similar loco. Just have to insulate the motor from the chassis. (those older ones used the chassis as part of the circuit)

Looking good. I guess I grew up in a different era. I never saw graffiti on trains when I was a kid. I guess people had a little better respect for other peoples property.

Looking good. I guess I grew up in a different era. I never saw graffiti on trains when I was a kid. I guess people had a little better respect for other peoples property.

Jeeze, you must be as old as me if you remember a time when people had respect for others and their property! :D

And yep, looking good Jody, your certainly braver than I.

you guys are lucky growing up where trains passed by i saw tracks where i grew up but never saw a train use them

There's one thing about it Tony, when you're pouring those concrete footings for your G scale layout, you won't need to hire a vibrating compactor to make it settle. Just time your pours for the next passing train.

G'day Tony...That's a cool back porch you have there..I think you have a 1:1 guage model railroad too..Lucky duck. but the bloody decoders would cost a fortune and the rolling stock boxes would be bigger than a house...Cheers Rod....

rodney,

Just caught your post and yep ... just the thought of changing out a decoder on one of them (SD70's I think) makes me shiver! Helluva pain in the butt to get em on the shelves in the shed for winter storage as well :) Some guy keeps jumping out of the cab and running around in circles telling me I can't do it and it isn't necessary ... yeah right, leaving an engine and rolling stock in the weather over winter? Who does he think he's kiddin'!

Got to admit thought, that guy is so realistic looking, amazing what they can do with models these days! :D

G'day Jody , Toot and Tony......Love the shed...what brand is it Jody ? Tony..How do you get the shell off one of them SD70's... do you have to take out the coupler boxes and you'd need a 100 ton crane I suppose and I suppose it's 4 ft 8.5 " flexitrack too...wouldn't come with built in ballast...all jokes aside though , do you know of Michael Gross ( Family Ties ) fame ...He's the dad...Guess what..He really does have his own 1:1 railway..He and his wife bought part of the old Santa Fe line..for real Cheers Rod..

G'day Rodney, i ordered it from model train stuff it is by Pikestuff its called engine house 1 or 2 doors the kit is a very poorly designed it has no floor with it, no clear plastic for the glass in the windows and door, i used a piece out of an old model car kit for the glass the instructions are very poorly done, other than that its an ok building but i dont think ill buy any more of their kits.

Back