IHC steam engines

It is a good unit...not sure if this one is DCC ready though but you can fix that...but again a good unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phew! It's hard to tell what that ad says with all the different fonts and colors! Like Alco said, it's a nice engine. AHM really upgraded their line in tha last few years. Assuming I read the ad correctly after my eyes stopped bleeding, it's one of the Premier line, which means it should have a nine pin DCC adapter already in the tender.

Thanks for the info guys!

Jim, that was going to be my next question. I went on the IHC web page and could not find mention of it being DCC ready?

I saw a few of the other IHC locs with mention if DCC ready but nit the hudson. This was a one off engine on the IC and looking at it I can tell it will need a few mods to represent the real engine but its a good platform to start on.

I think all the Premier line locomotives already have the DCC plug but some of the earliest releases may not. You should write the seller and ask him and not rely on my belief.

ok thanks

can some one tell me what style front truck the IC loco in my picture has.. also anyone knoe if someone makes that truck style aftermarket? The IHC has the front wheels exposed unlike the one the ICRR built from an old Berkshire

Thanks
Trent

Some of the older Premiers are not DCC ready, but the install was pretty straight forward. My 4-4-0 is the best runner I own, including diesels. I clocked it at 22 sec for a nine inch section of track--with no jerks. That's two scale mph!

Yea I called IHC today and they said its not DCC ready. no biggie as I can wire it up with out a problem. Now I need a sound decoder. Im thinking Soundtraxx again but have a question..what do you guys think I should get? med steam or large steam? my mountains have large steam installed

remember... The IC used an old Berkshire and converted it into a Hudson

I bought a used IHC/AHM Pacific at the train show on saturday. I tested it before purchase, and it ran so well, I paid cash on the spot ($30). I dont know about the unit you are looking at, but mine definitely could use the tender pickups running up to the locomotive. to assist with that, I dropped a Bachmann DCC onboard unit in behind it (on an analog layout). The 2 ran so well together I now have an official TX&GC excursion train!

good luck on the bidding!

ok thanks

can some one tell me what style front truck the IC loco in my picture has.. also anyone knoe if someone makes that truck style aftermarket? The IHC has the front wheels exposed unlike the one the ICRR built from an old Berkshire

Thanks
Trent

Trent;

The truck is simply called an outside bearing lead truck, which were also used on several other locos, most notable of which were the SP cab-forwards.

Precision Scale http://psc1.virtualfocus.com/

PSC has them for $8.00 You can go to their website, and click on the tab labled "Trucks". I believe its on the second or third page.

Trent;

The truck is simply called an outside bearing lead truck, which were also used on several other locos, most notable of which were the SP cab-forwards.

Precision Scale http://psc1.virtualfocus.com/

PSC has them for $8.00 You can go to their website, and click on the tab labled "Trucks". I believe its on the second or third page.

Thanks Carey!:)
I learn something new every day

I figured the IC used this style truck for higher speeds as this engine was used in fast freight and later passenger. Was there any advantage to this style vs the inner bearing truck?

Back