Idea for my Prototype

quakers1

The Blue Man
Hello all,

I recently posted about how I will be getting some space to use for a model railroad. Now I am going to decide on a prototype to model.

I do love mountain railroads with lots of grades, but they simply take up a lot of space. So I'll save them for later down the road when I get a larger space.

A prototype I have heavily had in mind is the CSX from Jacksonville to Folkston, which is part of the Nahunta Sub. Here are some reasons I have decided to look into this one:

There is the Bowden Yard in Jacksonville, which is plenty big enough to satisfy me.

This is a popular stretch of railroad, so getting prototype info will be no problem at all.

There seems to be a good deal of CSX motive power on the market these days, and more coming out (ex. Kato's SD70ACe and ES44AC will have CSX paint as an option)

It is simply my style of railroading: double track, heavy mainline action

There is A LOT of traffic, which is something I like

Even though some compression will be required, I can still model all the towns, since there aren't that many

Most of the route is generally flat, but this doesn't mean that you cannot have spectacular scenery

There is Amtrak service

All that is what makes me believe this would be a good prototype. I may have to shorten my trains in overall length somewhat since I am in a smaller space, but this doesn't bug me.

Also, I have looked at some books published by Kalmback that might help me out. Are these any good?

Realistic Model Railroad Design

Realistic Model Railroad Operation

Trackwork and Lineside Detail for Your Model Railroad

I own a copy of the book DCC Made Easy. It has done a good job at covering the fundamentals of DCC. Is there any books out there that go more in depth with the DCC topic?

Thanks for looking at this, and for any advice.

Cheers,

-Skylar:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

Also, I have looked at some books published by Kalmback that might help me out. Are these any good?

Realistic Model Railroad Design

Realistic Model Railroad Operation

Trackwork and Lineside Detail for Your Model Railroad

I own a copy of the book DCC Made Easy. It has done a good job at covering the fundamentals of DCC. Is there any books out there that go more in depth with the DCC topic?

Thanks for looking at this, and for any advice.

Cheers,

-Skylar:)

I have both of the first two books you listed and I think they are great items to look at before you start building. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the kalbach offerings. I Have several of their books and I continue to refer back to them.

Back