I need a little help

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
on picking a spot to model somewhere in the US.

As you might know, i model primarily the BNSF and UP with a splash of CSX lol :D

I am a industrial type modeler so scenery comes second for me lol. Can anyone suggest some possible modeling locations of real life areas that the BNSF, UP, or CSX serve? Im looking for lots of switching here. A couple large industries maybe, but the majority of them small to medium in size. And again, BNSF, UP, or CSX locations are a must.

if you can help me choose a spot to model, i would love to hear or see where :D

I will be modeling on small modules, 16-18" wide and 4-6' in length....

Thanks to anyone who can help :D

Well, St. Louis is served by all three, but I don't know of too many spots that are served by only those three.

Well, St. Louis is served by all three, but I don't know of too many spots that are served by only those three.

Thanks for the tip, it doesnt have to be only served by all 3 or only by one of them, just as long as one of those roads serves the area.... :D

port newark,N.J. both u.p. and csx/conrail, c/p not sure about bnsf
lots of autoracks and doublestacks :confused:

Check out the Port of Los Angeles and the Long Beach area. UP and BNSF are down there and there's both major container ports and lots of small industries with even a bit of street running still left.

Thanks Jim, this was the first area i looked at lol, the port of long beach that is, i live right by it lol

Man i would love to model intermodal and autoracks, but boy do those facilities take up massive amounts of real estate :eek:

I need something thats going to give me some switching opportunities. This means industrial lol. I may end up doing a small intermodal container yard, and model only the offloading of the containers from double stacks onto trucks with a small narrow yard for containers/trailers on one of the modules...

I really want an area with alot of small to medium sized industries that are both rail and truck served

If you want a variety of rail carriers and lots of small rail-served industries, check out Birmingham AL and its surroundings. I railfanned the area with a local friend during a trip there last summer, and I saw lots of CSX, MS and BNSF motive power, with a bit of UP thrown in. A modelers paradise! :D

Man i must be blind, all im seeing is HUGE yards and long lengths of track with an industry served here and there separated by another long length of track lol

Need branchlines with a bunch of sidings :D

I really want to model the Miami District with CSX but Lance (the guy i posted the link to) and my buddy Kurt over at the Gauge are already doing 2 sections of the Miami Area and i dont wanna be a copy cat lol :eek:

Back