I know it can't be this easy, but it worked...Running locos together...

Night Train

I decided to try and operate 2 locomotives together this evening so I took my two newest Atlas with decoders, put 'em on the same track, gave 'em both the same code, and ran 'em. I was able to pull quite a long (for me) line of tankers, boxcars, intermodal units, and hopper cars up some grades that gave my single loco trouble when pulling less than half of what I ran tonight. I was amazed how neat it looks seeing that long train make its way around my layout. It almost took up all of my return loops. Pictures will come soon... :D

Anyhow, my main question is this: What is the "official way" of running 2 locos together? I have the MRC Prodigy Express wireless handheld. They seemed to do fine with the quick way I did it tonight, but I want to do it the right way.

Suggestions?

I already know that I'm going to have to buy some more locomotives.... Fun times!

I decided to try and operate 2 locomotives together this evening so I took my two newest Atlas with decoders, put 'em on the same track, gave 'em both the same code, and ran 'em. I was able to pull quite a long (for me) line of tankers, boxcars, intermodal units, and hopper cars up some grades that gave my single loco trouble when pulling less than half of what I ran tonight. I was amazed how neat it looks seeing that long train make its way around my layout. It almost took up all of my return loops. Pictures will come soon... :D

Anyhow, my main question is this: What is the "official way" of running 2 locos together? I have the MRC Prodigy Express wireless handheld. They seemed to do fine with the quick way I did it tonight, but I want to do it the right way.

Suggestions?

I already know that I'm going to have to buy some more locomotives.... Fun times!

I Googled the manual for your MRC Prodigy Express and "Consisting" was all over it, even in the TOC. Have a look at your manual for "Consisting" and you will be good to go.

Give your locos different address numbers then before ya consist them, ya need to put one on the track facing the opposite direction, then ya get them both running in the same direction then consist them.

Ah, Reading the Directions! What a concept!

I guess I'm curious to know if there is a difference between doing the "Consist" thing and just assigning the same code number to all locos and running them together like that. I went ahead and found those instructions and am now running them in the official Consist method.

Hmmmm....the more I think about it, the more it seems that it'd be easier to return each loco to running independently by simply deleting that particular Consist and not having to reprogram the codes for each loco. In the consist, they still maintain their own codes.

If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be corrected. While I'm not new to model railroading, I'm still fairly new to the DCC method of running them. There's a video on YouTube under jorupa9999 if you care to see what the heck I'm babbling about. :)

Ah, Reading the Directions! What a concept!

No biggie...all us guys do that every once in while. Just ask my wife lol.

I guess I'm curious to know if there is a difference between doing the "Consist" thing and just assigning the same code number to all locos and running them together like that. I went ahead and found those instructions and am now running them in the official Consist method.

Hmmmm....the more I think about it, the more it seems that it'd be easier to return each loco to running independently by simply deleting that particular Consist and not having to reprogram the codes for each loco. In the consist, they still maintain their own codes.

If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be corrected. While I'm not new to model railroading, I'm still fairly new to the DCC method of running them. There's a video on YouTube under jorupa9999 if you care to see what the heck I'm babbling about. :)

I am using an NCE system but they all are about the same in setup I guess. And you are right about being able to kill the consist and have them run independently. It's easier that way in the end ;).

Look at the CV's for setting up lighting, sound volumes, etc. as well. For example, the master volume of decoders is usually CV 128 (at least Tsunami's are). To turn it up, increase the CV value. To turn it down, decrease the CV value. To turn it off completely, set it to 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 3 established ways of consisting, but sadly the names are interchanged a lot between companies which makes things unnecessarily confusing. Regardless, here goes!

Basic consist
Multiple locos are given the same address. The controller is sending each command once, but multiple locos are responding. The controller is unaware of the consist and each train is unaware it is part of a consist. This is what you've done, and is actually useful sometimes. For example I have some Intermountain FT units that are permanently coupled in AB sets via a drawbar. No reason to give them different addresses as they'll never be split up!

Old/brute force/universal/'controller assisted' consist
You tell the controller which trains (different addresses!) you want to have in the consist. The controller remembers the consist but doesn't actually change anything on the decoders. The controller sends each command multiple times, once for each different loco in the consist. Only the controller knows that the consist exists, the locos are unaware they are in a consist.

Advanced consist
The best kind if you ask me. Each loco has the same desired consist address set to CV19, but keeps their respective (unique) normal addresses. This can be done manually, or the controller can assist you in doing it (NCE works this way). Each loco will respond to commands sent to it's normal address, except for motor control. When CV19 is anything but '0' the loco knows it is in a consist and will only respond to motor controls sent to the consist address! To drive the consist you would select the consist address with your controller, and each loco will recognise that it is part of that consist and respond accordingly (command sent once, multiple locos with different addresses but a shared consist address respond). An added feature of advanced consisting is the ability to set rules for non-motor control functions, for example you could tell the non-lead locos to action sound commands sent to the consist, but not lighting commands. Some controllers (NCE) use controller assisted advanced consisting, so both the locos AND the controller know the consist exists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back