I just weathered my first car

Motley

Well, I picked up some Floquil Inst. Weathering on my way home from work. And I decided to try weathering a car. I don't have an airbrish, and I'm going to order the AIM powders and try that as well.

But here ya go, let me know what y'all think? Is it too much? Should I do my other matching car? I know it doesn't look rusty, but just dusty from the roads.

ATTN: Jeffery, what do you think?

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

Michael

Looks great!

Really? Thanks Kellan!

It was super easy, I didn't even remove the trucks/wheels or anything. After I shot it, I wiped off the little bit of paint from the outer edge of the wheels/axles with some thinner.

Michael

I really like it, great job! I would defnately go do the other car.
Where do you buy ths stuff, do you have to go to a Hobby shop or is this something i can find at a Hardware store? Can you tell me what type of boxcar those are, they look really nice as well.

Those cars look great Michael!!

I just tried to look up in the Instant Weathering stuff up on the Walthers site, looks like they dont carry it so i cant order it unless i buy from somewhere else and by the time I pay for shipping its a rip off :( lol

Those cars look great Michael!!

I just tried to look up in the Instant Weathering stuff up on the Walthers site, looks like they dont carry it so i cant order it unless i buy from somewhere else and by the time I pay for shipping its a rip off :( lol

Thanks Josh. Why don't you order a 2-3 cans then. It's pretty good stuff, easy to use. http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Floquil_130016_Instant_Weathering_Spray_p/270-130016.htm

btw, what I did was placed the car on a tall box, and I sprayed it from the bottom up to get that effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I picked up some Floquil Inst. Weathering on my way home from work. And I decided to try weathering a car. I don't have an airbrish, and I'm going to order the AIM powders and try that as well.

But here ya go, let me know what y'all think? Is it too much? Should I do my other matching car? I know it doesn't look rusty, but just dusty from the roads.

ATTN: Jeffery, what do you think?

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

Michael

I think it looks great.
A weathered car depends on many factors such as, does it spend a lot of time in an area with lots of rain, little rain, nasty winters or nasty hot summers. Also the era that you model, are the cars neglected, and the age of the car's paint are factors. Many compounding factors.
If your cars spend a lot of time where there is temperate rainforest climate such as B.C. and Washington State, there is a lot streaking on the cars. Arid areas such as parts of the prairies and deserts seem to have an even dusty look. Also if your cars go through a lot of tunnels they tend to accumulate soot especially during the steam era.
I usually go by prototypical photographs that were taken of cars in the region and era I model including foreign cars.

Cheers

NIce work, I too have been trying to weather some of my cars . Thanks for the advice on how to spray it. Ill be checking into that.

Michael

The cars look great. I really like the way the weathering get less the higher up on the car it get.

GREAT JOB
BJ

Michael, you've found the key to using Floquil Instant weathering. Spraying it up from the bottom naturally emulates the type of dirt and grime that collects on cars, especially relatively new cars. Spraying Instant Weathering head on looks awful. Older cars have more complicated patterns of rust and streaking, as has been said, but you've gotten off to a good start.

Dear Motley,

Your weathering job looks very good to me. I am not quite sure what process you used to get this affect, though.

I used Bar Mills chalks on some of my cars, there were four "colors" of chalk in the package, three rusts and black. I just brushed these on with a dedicated brush. It worked better on some cars than others. There is a picture in the photo gallery posted 6/4/2010. I used some on the buildings and scenery, too, to "flatten" the finish.

Sincerely, Logandsawman

Back