HoYardSale

I only subscribe to watch for potential purchases. There's no way I will deal with someone like that to sell my stuff. There are too many available venues that I don't need to deal with idiocy out of one.

i mean seriously. I was not looking for 1 specific item. I wanted multiple different things as evident by me wanting any of the 3 companies and whatever names were on the containers and trailers. But whatever, im still getting the emails so i guess im still on there. Hopefully i'll get some hits off the postings i made on other sites.

Ive had nothing but pleasant expierences dealing with HOYardsale. Ive personally talked with Mr. Harris several times, currently working on doing a deal with him too. Ive found him to be extremely helpful and hes gone well out of his way to help me find what im looking for if i had a somewhat vaque post.

In talking with him and seeing what hes posted, i believe he is a modeler who tends to maybe be more prototypical than the avg modeler. Maybe this explains why he had a problem with NYSW F45's post. Granted, it is your layout, but in the end, its his group.

Youll never hear me bad-mouth HOYardsale or Mr. Harris. Plain and simple. Id rather deal with his rules and have access to hundreds or thousands of fellow modelers for buying and selling, then not have a place to do business. Its free to use, Mr. Harris isnt making any money off of this, and i find his rules to be fair.

The only things i dont like about HOYardSale are as followed:

1.) He requires a full name in every post, which i dont particularly care for, but its his group and im sure he has his reasons as to why he requires this.

2.) Overpriced items, some people have ridiculous prices.

3.) Buyers who are "interested", then you never hear from them again.

The last two really have nothing to do with HOYardSale, as they can be found anyways items are sold, but i listed them because i see them there and i dont really like it, even though i has nothing to do with the group itself.

Check out some of the posts on NScaleYardSale sometime, the way they are worded and how vague they are will really make you appreciate how cut and dry HOYardSale is.

These are simply my opinions, im sure those who have had a negative experience with HOYardSale have their reasons behind their feelings, but i dont feel its appropriate to attack the group.

littlefoot, i learned teh hardway about not having a last name. I corrected that 2 years ago by creating a signature for my yahoo emails. But this was just crazy. Go and read my WTB in the for sale forum on this site and you tell me what would be so hard to understand about what im looking for.

I had been a member of Yahoo groups years ago. Since I could not remember my info {user name, Password etc,} I had to sign up for Yahoo again. This time they wanted name, B-date, etc. ANd then I joined HO Yardsale. I found it confusing and when I tried to get back on, I couldn't, so I may have been booted?:confused:
I didn't find it all that good anyway.

There IS, HERE on THIS SITE, A "for sale/wanted to buy" section that is easy to use and that works good IF more people used it! Scroll down and look frequently. :rolleyes:
It may not have what you are loioking for all the time, but I couldn't sift out what I was looking for on HO Yardsale to my knowlege either!:confused:

To be honest, I think that his rules are more than reasonable, and are in place to help reduce wasted time, reduce spam, and somewhat add some security to the transaction. Most people who don't follow the rules are usually just lazy and don't want to include all the info that is required.

I've been using the group for a while, and have adapted to all of the rule amendments and changes. To someone who is just joining, it can be overwhelming, but if you think about it, the rules are justified.

For example,

High prices results in people not buying your items, and just clogs up the system with reposts.

He requires a full name because scammers or deadbeats that have been banned from the group can always rejoin under a new username. Since the full name is required, unless the buyer is really dumb, he'd be wary about why the full name in the post does not match the name to send the payment to. So, in a way, this rule helps to cut down on scammers.

I agree that a good portion of the rules are reasonable and make sense, but some of the requirements and the enforcement of those requirements seem overzealous. I have seen a number of folks frustrated because the HOYS owner expects inordinate amounts of specificity in what a person is looking for, but in reality sometimes there isn't that specific of a requirement from the purchaser. If I were looking for any old craftsman kits as I love to build and wouldn't care who the producer of the kit was, what building or era the kit represented, or what years the kit was produced I don't think I would be allowed to post an ad that vague on HOYS. Not a big problem for me as I'd just post here, but I can see where it would be annoying to some.

But, yah, it's his site so he can manage it any way he wants. Some will choose to not participate based on his management.

I have to agree that the HOYS group is a great place and Patrick has been great to work with. I think it's fine he requires post with complete names as it helps me fell someone there isn't going to scam you or anything like that. I've been a member there for years and I can recall when you didn't have to put your complete name and I like it more now then before.
The fact that Patrick puts in all the time he does to review post to ensure we see complete post with valid information is a testament to Patrick and I tip my hat to him.

Dave

anyone ever dealt with "bobstrainstore" on there? i sent him an "I'll take it" on a loco a few days back, haven't heard anything since, hoping he doesn't blow me off because i'm in canada, i really want that item, and will gladly pay the extra shipping costs.

Well, the posters sometimes get a lot of responses and some only respond to the person who either responded first, or whoever they feel like selling it to.

I try to respond to every responder as a courtesy (to let them know that it's taken or it's pending payment and that they may still have a chance if the first person backs out, etc) but theres no rule saying that posters must respond to everyone so not everyone responds to everyone.

To each their own, I guess.

If he hasn't responded, consider it taken by someone else. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Did I miss a memo on HOYS ? I can't seem to log in. It keeps telling me I have to be a member - but I AM! hmm...

Whether his rules are reasonable or not is no excuse to treat his new contributors the way he does. When someone new doesnt understand, all he does is ridicule and act like a child and doesnt get it through his head that not every new HOyardsale user is on the same page as him. Ive used this analogy before. HOYardsale is one of those places that the owner used as his own little clubhouse, if he didnt like you or the way you posted your stuff for sale, he just pulls up the ladder so you cant use it anymore. Quite honestly, I dont know why you would want to with someone that runs things like that anyways. Not when there are so many other sources you can sell your stuff on.

Even with the rules of keeping out spam and what not. That is still no way to conduct yourself towards the users of your group.

hmm i did two seperate deals last summer. one went off without a hitch. second got all screwed up and never recieved the item. canada post went on strike the day after he shipped, finally got it straightened out and supposedly reshipped a few months later, and never saw it, inquired about making a claim with usps, and communication kinda stopped after that. not sure if i got scammed or just had bad luck. oh well lesson learned i guess. won't sign up again under their new name.

Back