Howdy! Trying to find an engine that will work on this S Scale Layout.

rhino87

Hello everyone! My family moved into an older house and this track and transformer were here. I know nothing about model trains but I’m trying to find an engine that will work for my son. I do know that the transformer works. Any help appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1619.png
    IMG_1619.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1618.png
    IMG_1618.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
I should also mention that I did a little (unsuccessful) research of my own before and bought this American Flyer S Gauge from eBay. I couldn’t get it to quite work. Maybe it doesn’t fit the track correctly?

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    696.3 KB · Views: 16
I should also mention that I did a little (unsuccessful) research of my own before and bought this American Flyer S Gauge from eBay. I couldn’t get it to quite work. Maybe it doesn’t fit the track correctly?
Some work will probably be needed as this has likely been sitting around for some time before it was sold, looking at your photo a good clean of the wheels is needed, also any pickups, clean wheels, pickups and track are important for the power to reach the motor, try that first and see if it improves its performance.

Other items will need to be checked and probably cleaned, but as an HO and OO scaler, I'm not that familiar with S scale or that locomotive. and I wouldn't want to advise you any further other than the simple basics. You may find you'll have to remove the bodyshell to get to all the parts, but it's all pretty basic to work out, hopefully, you have the exploded diagram which will also help.

Our S scale members will be able to advise you in more detail than I can, but a clean set of wheels and tracks is a must in any scale.

Smudge offers good advice here. While I am not an S scaler, I can advise that as a beginner when you disassemble any steam locomotive, it is advisable to take pictures as you go. Then you have guides as to how it goes back together.

Back